Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

auto slap and pop?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by squire_pwr, Aug 16, 2003.

1. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    For a long time, I could never understand how Flea slapped a fill in the interlude of "All around the World" until I d/led a video of them performing live... apparently he wasn't even slapping, but just playing normally with his fingers and not even slapping. Whoa. He's done it on other videos I've seen too, where he just plays finger style ("Can't Stop"), but what's coming out is this insanely punchy, slapping sound. How? Is this the notorious "GK Growl"? (in my visits to GC, I've never figured out what exactly is that "growl") Or is it some cool effect he's using? Thanks!

2. There are auto slap/pop effects, but only in one multi effectws box, the GT6B. What you probably heard was Flea's live tone, which is REALLY heavy in Hi-mids and treble, with him plucking REALLY hard, giving him some fretbuzz, which mimics the slapping sound

3. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Woah... If his live rig makes his fingerstyle sound like slapping/popping, what does it sound like when he does slap/pop :p

:oops:

4. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    yeah... that must be twice the slap and pop everyone else does!! wow.

So, do you think he uses a crazy EQ to get that tone then? Or just whatever's built into the GK amps? It's pretty amazing though... I watched the video again and there's a close up of him playing and it looks like he's just playing, but the sound is like, someone is popping, tho his lower range notes do sound really mid-heavy. I should give this a try. :)

but overall, it's pretty sad the actual amount of camera time spent on him and bassists in general... u'd think that with such a notorious bassist as Flea, they'd at least give him more camera than the drummer. ;)

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have a different bass and amp (no GK) and find this tone pretty easy to get regardless of the gear.
    A bit of compression, new strings, boost at 800 and 3000 Hz, cut at 200 and 1500.

6. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    well like thgey said, its a lot to do with the eq and overdrive he uses live, i have a live video of them, and id say he gets the most camerea of anyone, but thats a different story.

his tone is overdrive heavy and his tone has 75% to do with his playing style. he attacks so hard and maybe has such low action, that its creates slap and pop tones even while doing fingerstyle. plus the overdrive, eq, and other effects, just all adds up. it is almost like fieldy from korn, but he doesnt use distortion.

in my opinion, i think his live tone sounds like crap, but i havent heard them in person live so i cant fully judge.

7. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Y'know, that particular sound and technique is not something "new" nor is it something of Flea's invention. It is sometimes known as "hard plucking" and has been widely used by players like Stanley Clarke and Marcus Miller.
    It consists of some hi-mid boost(boost the treble can also work, but will also introduce some hiss, fret calck and finger noise) and plucking hard up over the neck pickup, where the strings are looser. This puts a nice sharp "snap" to the strings. It is nothing really that difficult nor exceptional...anyone can do it regardless of bass or amp.
    Many of the amazing passages and runs Stanley did back in the 70s and 80s (incl. "Silly Putty" and "School Days")use this technique (allowing him to perform 32nd note flourishes with a slap-like tone), and Marcus Miller, and Victor Wooten, use the technique frequently on solo spots.

Max

8. I'd always wondered if that kinda effect was possible........how much do they go for?

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    If I remember correctly, you can get a Boss GT6B for about $399. The auto slap and pop is actually kind of cool; it's like an arpegiator on a keyboard. You can do lots of strange stuff with it that you wouldn't be able to pull off other wise.

Still no excuse not to practice, though.

10. definitely, dude!@