Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Auto transport damaging speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basss, Oct 1, 2003.

1. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Can speakers be damaged by transporting them in a car either face up or down? Someone told me that they need to be loaded on their side or the up and down jostling they get in a car will damage them. Is this true?

2. Don't worry about it. Speakers are pretty robust and it would take an awful impact to damage them. If anything, they're less likely to be damaged facing up or down because any motion would be in the normal direction of movement......
    I've transported thousands of speakers all over the continent in semi trailers and they've always come out fine...and a semi trailer rides rougher than any car....:D

It's a non-issue.

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    With my rig the only two things I worry about are THEFT and RAIN!

anyone have bad experience with rain/snow damage?

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i think if rain got on the cabs it would be fine..just let it dry before playing...

steve

5. Passive radiators will be damaged by transport if they are in any position except standard vertical.

PR cones are very heavy (by design) and will distort the spider suspension if left in a non vertical position. PRs never fire downware for this reason. They are not recommended for vehicle use either, because the heavy cones do not do well in a jolting automotive environment.

My 15" subs transport in the vertical position by the luck of best fit in the truck.

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Better tell Mesa Boogie...the passive radiator on their new combos is on the bottom :rolleyes:

7. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    A Passive Radiator is not a real Speaker as referred to in this post. :rolleyes:

It uses the cabinets internal pressure to cause movement.

Here is a typical Passive Radiator:
    [​IMG]

Notice: No Magnet & No Coil.

A passive radiator is essentially a weight on a spring. The weight is the combination of the cone material and whatever mass loading might be used - this is the critical part of PR design and must be correct for the part to function properly. The spring is partly the stiffness of the suspension materials (which are usually quite flexible), and mostly the air trapped inside the cabinet. (Later I will mention the passive radiator system as a sub-class of all "vented" systems. They are mathematically identical, the typical vented system using a "port," or hole in the box, with a tube attached to it, to create the "mass and spring" effect - the mass being the air column in the tube)

8. Mesa can what whatever they want. The reality of as much as 2500 grams hanging down and stretching the spiders is inevitable distortion of the spider. Any quality PR manufacturer will tell you the same story (which is where I got it).

A PR is not mathematically identical to a vented box. You forgot to mention the PR-unique "notch" at the tuning frequency. This is where it goes anti-phase with the driver and output drops to nil. The trick is finding a driver/PR combination that allows tuning below the lowest used note. This places the notch below the usable bandwidth.

Vents don't require operation in pairs, as do large PRs, because they will walk the cabinet around the stage from the mass of the PR. Unlike vents, PRs are best done in pairs, on opposing panels so the motion cancels the tendency for the cab to move around.

Unlike vents, PRs piston areas typically have to be sized one larger than the driver. A 10" driver requires a 12" PR, an so forth. The dual opposing PR configuration more than compensates for this.

9. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I'm pretty sure I have....
    I used to live on the always foggy coast of CA, and I always transported my speaker cab in the bed of my pickup truck, so it always got damp when I'd arrive home at night. I'd usually have the cab face down when I'd do this, but sometimes it'd ride standing up or on it's side if I was hauling other folks' gear.
    Eventually I arrived to gig one day in L.A. to find the EV 15" speaker cone had unglued itself from the frame. Coincidental of a bad glue job? Or probably let go from the moisture it saw? I think it was the latter...
    I now only transport my cabs in an enclosed trailer, and either strap them in standing up, or laying on their backs.