Auto-Wah vs. Chorus vs. Flange

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Petary791, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Well, I was listening to some music today, specifically some Metallica and some Cochise by Audioslave. I noticed that when Kirk does some solos, it kinda sounds like an auto-wah, but I highly doubt he uses an auto-wah. Same with Tim Bob, but it was on bass (duh.) I was wondering, does Tim play through an Auto-wah and a fuzz or a Chorus and fuzz or flange and fuzz or does he just wah the whole song manually

Thanks! :bassist:
  2. I know that Kirk uses a good old fashioned wah...Dunlop, I think. He's just really fast with it and uses it on darn near every solo of his.

Tim (after doing a search, you'll find that his rig has been analyzed to death...all to no avail...because he's a kook and doesn't tell anybody exactly what he uses) is reputed to use two Dunlop 105q's with a piece of wood duct taped to the rockers so they act in unison. His distorted wah sound comes from these wah's and either a Marshall Guv'nor distortion or a 'homemade distortion box made from old wah parts' (his words). So your guess is as good as anybody's.

As far as I know, neither uses an autowah, they just practice and do it well.