1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Auto-Wah vs. Chorus vs. Flange

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Petary791, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Well, I was listening to some music today, specifically some Metallica and some Cochise by Audioslave. I noticed that when Kirk does some solos, it kinda sounds like an auto-wah, but I highly doubt he uses an auto-wah. Same with Tim Bob, but it was on bass (duh.) I was wondering, does Tim play through an Auto-wah and a fuzz or a Chorus and fuzz or flange and fuzz or does he just wah the whole song manually

Thanks! :bassist:

2. I know that Kirk uses a good old fashioned wah...Dunlop, I think. He's just really fast with it and uses it on darn near every solo of his.

Tim (after doing a search, you'll find that his rig has been analyzed to death...all to no avail...because he's a kook and doesn't tell anybody exactly what he uses) is reputed to use two Dunlop 105q's with a piece of wood duct taped to the rockers so they act in unison. His distorted wah sound comes from these wah's and either a Marshall Guv'nor distortion or a 'homemade distortion box made from old wah parts' (his words). So your guess is as good as anybody's.

As far as I know, neither uses an autowah, they just practice and do it well.