1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Autobody collision repair question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gorn, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    So about two weeks ago I got into a minor accident in a parking lot. I got sideswiped and my passenger side doors were smashed in. I took it to the body shop and the adjuster pointed out hail damage all over the car. I knew about it. It was from a freak hail storm we had in 2011. The adjuster was very douchey about it and told me that would need a whole new claim to fix. He told me I'd need a new hood, roof and trunk. That part I know is BS, but the new claim part seemed legit. I left it alone and told them to just fix the doors. I picked up my car just now, and they fixed the doors, and completely removed the hail damage. They didn't replace anything, just took out the little dimples all over my hood,roof and trunk. I looked over the itemized repair list they gave me and it didn't say anything about fixing the hail damage.

Why would they do that? I signed everything and acknowledged the work done before leaving, so it's not like they can hit me with a surprise bill later on, right? Did they do it out of the kindness of their hearts? I didn't mention it and I won't....it just seems odd, not that I'm complaining.

2. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    They billed the insurance. They just don't want you to see how much!

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    That's what I thought, but I saw what they billed the insurance. It didn't mention it.

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Auto shop probably just went above and beyond and fixed it. Depending on the extent of the hail damage, it probably wasn't too difficult to fix. You could ask the shop about it and see what they say - that would get you all the answers you need.

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    That's probably it, but I didn't wanna say anything. I just got out of there like I stole the car. The above and beyond work ethic frightened me.

6. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    Yeah some people are just all about doing more than expected. It may not be totally altruistic, though; they may be banking on you telling everyone you know about the great job they did, blah blah.

Word of mouth is the best advertising.

Did you meet the owner? I would be tempted to go back and offer him a gift card to a nice restaurant- you will need a body man again in the future.

If its a big impersonal chain store, just chalk it up to getting a bonus and go on, like finding a fiver on the sidewalk...

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Even if it's a big chain place, it'd be good to meet them and have a good relation with them. Having a good auto body person you personally know is great. I like doing a lot of the mechanical work myself, but I won't touch body work... I have a guy for that :p

8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Yah it was a mom and pop shop. Old grizzly man in the back. His sons working in his shop. His niece behind reception.

I guess they're just good people.

If anyone's looking for a good body shop in Long Island, message me.

9. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Banned

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg

Let me know if things turn sour. I'll post a link to the Duel Theme.

10. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    "Ha! Told ya, maw... that gorn guy is speadin' the word," said the grizzled old shop owner.

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Do them a solid favor and post on Yelp at least. Don't have to go into details about the freebe work, but at least give them a great review. And, give them a gift card or something - they at least saved you the 2nd deductible.

12. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Pennsylvania
    Sounds like the OP got a good one! My father has been in the autobody repair business for over 50 years. He had planned on retiring last year, but his customers won't let him because he does stuff like what the OP described. These days he only takes jobs from people he's worked for in the past, but he is always busy and often gets gifts of beer and baked goods. He's always said that if you treat customers right and do little things, they will come back. If the guy who fixed the hail damage is like my dad, I would second the suggestion of another poster to give him a gift card or some other token of appreciation.

13. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Body work is the one time smacking things with a wrench tends to make them worse!

14. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Very cool. I agree with those who said you got a good deal. I would wait a little bit to see if I got any push back from my insurance company before I made my final decision.
    For your part you have acted with integrity and have a clean conscience.

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    That's what I'm thinking. Someone was looking out for you. Now it's your turn to go above and beyond for someone else.....keep an eye out for a chance to do so. I would also post an online review of the body shop so everyone else knows about your good experience.

-Mike

16. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If they did you a solid, definitely give them good reviews. How often do I read here (and on other sites) about people not being able to get public feedback? If they did the right thing, you do as well.

Even franchises are owned by people.

17. Good business practice like was mention you will run and tell all of your friends we aren't actually who they had in mind, but for the most part it work like a charm :)

18. You've got a couple things going on here. First , yeah , they are good folks at that shop. Second , they don't want a half job to go out of their shop. If someone sees the door repairs and there's still hail damage , the job just doesn't look good and that's not particularly good for their business. Third , minor hail damage is a pretty quick fix so it was a good business move on their part. At any rate , a schlep shop could easily just fixed the doors and sent you on your way so they deserve some real kudos for going above and beyond. Give 'em a great review somewhere , send them a card or a gift certificate or maybe take them out to lunch.

19. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    curious: did they repaint the panels that had hail damage or did they 'spoon' the damage out?

20. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Banned

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg

Sharkbait, Hoo ha ha.