Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, May 21, 2003.

1. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    who does it? i've got my first on June 1st, with the madison sports car club. it's at this track:

which is a go-kart track :D my 240sx is going to be running D-Stock. i'm so so so excited.
  2. i would like to do it but i don't think my car (92 mustang GT convertible) would be a good candidate. Unless, if my friend lets me borrow his 93 RX-7 or my other friends 240sx w/SR20 swap i would love to try autocross.
  3. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    What cars do you have besides the VW and the 240sx?

I don't think my audi A6 would be great for autocrossing. Maybe if i traded it for an S6 :D.
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    just those 2. and i'd consider the VW more of a paperweight than a car at this juncture :) it'd ROCK at autocross though (neuspeed race springs, koni adjustable shocks, neuspeed sway bars, catback, 15" bbs rims w/kumho ecsta supra 712's. mmmm sticky rubber :)
  5. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Well, I guess I've posted pics of my MR2 on course too often to deny my own addiction.

Anyhoo, my '02 Spyder, completely stock save for a set of Kumho Victoracer race tires mounted on a spare set of stock rims, has taken home first place regional C Stock trophies in Houston and SW Lousiana SCCA regions.

I'm taking a break from racing right now because I'm at a crossroads where if I want to go on to be competitive at a divisional level I'll have to make a big commitment to setting up the car to the limits of stock class allowances, which will bring some fussy and problematic issues to this particular car.

I raced against plenty of 240s back when I drove my 5th gen Prelude and got spanked often enough, so I'd say you've got a decent piece of equipment to work with, even though I've never driven one. :D

Is this an SCCA sanctioned event, Jason? Has the site been used frequently in the past for autox? I don't mean to scare you but kart tracks can have some safety issues with Autox. On a tight little course like that, a car like mine or a Miata could likely set FTD (fast time of the day) over the SS and BS cars. Anyway, if it's an established, reputable club that's used the track before, you shouldn't have anything whatsoever to worry about.

Let me know if you'd like some recommendations for online resources and books for beginners. I bet you can get tire pressure advice on a board devoted to 240s. I'd say err towards the higher pressures if you get different suggestions.

You are going to have an absolute blast. Welcome to the addiction - and if you thought G.A.S. was a problem as a bassist, you are in for real trouble now, my good sir! ;)
  6. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX

A video of a run on a track similar to the one you're going to run on - except it's a police training track and not nearly as tight as a kart track. This is on street tires (listen for the tire noise) and was about my third event out in the car, so I was still a bit tentative, especially since I spun out on the previous run (which unfortunately didn't make it to video) :D
  7. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    it's sanctioned by the Midwestern Council, which has been running races every year since the mid 50's, so i guess that's ok, although the car classification rules are kind of different from SCCA rules. and the madison sports car club runs autocross on this course about twice a year, so i think that's ok too.

here's a question though - just last night my lifters started making a really nasty ticking, and my car sounds like a diesel engine. would that fail a tech inspection?
  8. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    You should be fine on the tech inspection. Of course it's up to the discretion of the tech worker who inspects your car (with appeal to the club's chief of tech), but they are generally only going to fail you for something that presents an immediate safety concern to you or others.

I've never worked tech, but here are things that typically get checked, off the top of my head at SCCA sanctioned events:

no loose items inside car or trunk
    solid brake pedal
    no excessive steering wheel play
    throttle return spring functioning
    No excessive fluid leaks
    battery secured (can't wiggle it by hand)
    no visible cord showing on tires
    Wiggle test on wheels to check for excessive play.

Porsche/BMW club events I attend have even more cursory inspections, and the car isn't running during the check.
  9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Wouldnt you like to fix that first regardless of passing or failing a tech inspection? Obviously somethings wrong, and imo youre only going to do more harm than good by running it like that.
  10. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

on one hand, yes it's annoying and it may wreck my engine.

on the other hand, a RB20DET front clip is pretty darn cheap, and the swap is a weekend worth of work. so maybe i kinda do want to roast it :)