Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Automatic LFO Effect?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Citizen Erased, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Citizen Erased

Citizen Erased

Jun 17, 2004
    I've been trying to get a similar sound on my bass to the synth in Radioheads 'Climbing Up The Walls'. I've asked a few other people and they seem to think the synth is running an automatic LFO to get that swelling sound that resets each time a new note is played. I've done a little research and can't seem to find any pedal units for bass or guitar that'll allow me to replicate that effect. The closest I've gotten is using the Bias tremelo on my Bass pod XTpro but that's tempo dependant which is usless if my band happens to play a song with a slightly faster or slower tempo than normal onstage. Here's a sample of the Radiohead song so you can get an idea of what I'm babbling about.
    http://www.fourthgradenothing.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/climbingupthewallsbasssample.mp3
    If anyone could tell me how to get an automatic LFO effect on my bass like that, I'd be eternally greatful.

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Doesn't sound like a LFO to me.
    It's an envelope filter.
    A dynamic wah with very slow opening will do the trick, assuming you use either a slightly overdriven tone or a bass synth as a base.

3. Citizen Erased

Citizen Erased

Jun 17, 2004
    Hm, what would be a good moderatly priced Wah pedal that could do that?

4. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Well Colin plays a Novation Bass Station for that part... There is definetly no LFO in there, there is a LPF though...

But... I have used a Digitech BSW with good results, but personaly I use my Crothier Audio P&C and if works fantastic...

Alex

5. Citizen Erased

Citizen Erased

Jun 17, 2004
    I had a listen to the Digitech BSW on their site and the filter sweep sounds like could do just what I need with a bit of tweaking. I can't find any sounds samples of the P&C anywhere though. I think I'll be picking the Digitech up some time soon, thanks for the heads up

6. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    thats what I am here for...

Alex