1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Autotune

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by Jaydin Nathan, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Hey Janek,

I bought Live at the 55 Bar a few days ago, loving it man. Can't wait til the next one, keep doing what your doing. I'm also listening to your podcasts.

The reason for this thread, is I just recently saw Before The Music Dies and was wondering what your opinion on autotune is. As your a producer, I don't mind if you can't answer but I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jaydin

2. janekbass

janekbass

Jan 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Founder and CEO of http://bassstudio.janekgwizdala.com
    you mean what erika badu was talking about in that movie? I think it was her right? I saw it at the premier in Austin, and know the film maker pretty well... but it's been a while since I saw it.

I think autotune is essential for some people. I rarely use it ever because I choose not to get involved in productions that are likely to need extreme amounts of it.

As an effect it can be really great to mess around with the settings and filter a voice with it, but I really do like working with people who can actually sing. I've used it before, although I can't remember the last time, it's been a while. Which either means I need to produce more mass appeal pop records with artists that can't sing and make myself some more money, or I should perhaps be a little poorer, but a lot happier for producing music I truly believe in.

Autotune just is what it is. A means to an end for some people who don't have a hope of singing in tune.

Easy,

Janek

3. Yeh it's Erika Badu. Thanks a lot for the reply Janek.