Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Autumn Leaves

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by LiquidMidnight, Jul 17, 2002.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Hey Mike, I've recently been checking out your lessons at Bassically.net and I'm really fascinated with your chordal approach as I've always loved solo jazz guitar and your style is almost like solo jazz bass.

I decided to start working through Autumn Leaves to get me started. While I'm not one to copy cat another player, I've been comparing my version to the sample you have, and a few things seem to be different. Mainly two things that is, I was wondering if the standard notation you gave was basically a cut and dry version and the recording you did has some personal embellishments and improvasation that isn't present in the written music. The first, being, it sounds like you are appergiating some chords (as opposed to how the chords are written as block chords in the music) and are you playing passing tones between the chords of the first 10 measures or so?

Thanks Mike. Again, I'm not trying to copy what you have recorded note for note, but I was comparing what I was playing to what you have presented, and want to make sure that I was reading the music right.

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Yup. The performance is different in a few ways. Good job picking up the differences. For the Bassics Magazine Feature, I had to really go back to the performance version of The Shadow of Your Smile and edit the arrangement accordingly.

Mike

3. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Mike,
    I was just about to post a question about this song so I thought it might be better just to put it in this post.

I too have recently found the greatness that is bassically.net:) Could you do me a favor and give my performance a listen?? It's basically your arrangement two hand tapped on a 4 string jazz. There's quite a few different rhythmic patterns that I added, but I'd really like your opinion on what you'd change, phrases, and what not. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Alex

AUTUMN LEAVES

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Alex,
    Cool! I dig it. I really like the rhythmic patterns created by the tapping. I would work on giving the song room to "breath" especially in the first chorus. Allow the chords to ring and let us hear the relationship between the melody and the chords. The first chorus can be rubato and although playing in tempo is not important, the rhythmic flow is. Try developing the flow a bit more in the first chorus. The second chorus has a nice swing feel and I think you pulled it off rather nicely tapping to the swing feel. In the second chorus try to focus on the melody/harmony rather than the technique. It still sounds a bit like you're working out the technique.

I have a solo arrangement of Goodbye Porkpie Hat. No matter what I've tried it always sounds more like an exercise than music. Getting past that barrier is the trick.

Thanks so much for sharing your work and opening it up for critique. I hope that I could help and didn't hurt any feelings. Like I said, I really dig your approach to the tune. I have a tapped (w/looper) version of Spain that I do that I should post sometime.

Thanks
    Mike

5. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Mike,

Thanks a TON! It means quite a bit coming from you:)

I am still working out the technique a bit, but sure am inspired by your words.

As far as Spain, I would LOVE to hear that. My jazz band at college did that song last semester.

Alex

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    For some reason, I only got the first half of the song when I downloaded it, and couldn't stream it at all. Ah the joys of working inside a corporate network :rolleyes:

Listening to the bit I did get (from the intro to where the tempo picks up) I thought it sounded good but a bit unbalanced. It was a bit like going to see a band and not being able to make out the vocals because they're too low in the mix. It might be worth trying to make the melody sing out more clearly over the accompaniment.

However, respect to you for getting thus far and posting it for critique.

Wulf

7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
  8. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
  9. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I love that song.

Hopefully I'll be seeing mike tonight in saratoga. Every time I see him play, it really inspires me to learn what he teaches me in our lessons.

Music theory is hard. :rolleyes:

10. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    It was nice to see you and Jen.

Mike

11. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Diddo Mike, a pleasure as always.