Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Autumn Leaves

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Spearhead, Oct 22, 2002.

1. There is an intro before the head (A-7 D7 Gmaj7...etc.) that I cant quite figure out on a version by miles davis. Does anyone know what progression it is? I have to preform this piece for an audition next week and I know the piece fairly well, but that one intro that miles does on his version would be something nice to add.

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    If it's the SOMETHING ELSE, I'd have to imagine that they're playing over a Gmaj13. Sam Jones just plays, 1-3-5-6-5. I'll let you get the rhythm, cause I don't feel busting out Finale for this one.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Unless I was on drugs when I heard that record last, that riff was in minor, not Major. 1-b3-5-6-5....I'd go check, but my copies of that record are on wax and cassette, and I no longer have any machines to play either on at the moment. Anybody else remember the riff?

4. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Yah, the lick and the song is in the key of G minor . Spearhead,The real book has the tune in the key of E minor so transpose Everything up a minor 3rd to get in the same key as the version on something else

AJ

5. It is off "something else" and i do beleive it is in G minor. It begins with the piano and bass running through G, Bb, D, E, D, over and over and then the trumpet and sax come in playing over 7 chords and 7 bars. Then it has a weird interlude and returns to the piano playing the chords and then goes into the head.

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Yeah, my bad on the maj/min thing. I just don't remember that being a b3 though for some reason, but like Durrl, I'm not sure where my recording is.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...for cryin' out loud, Jazzbo-
    Better switch to a non-alcoholic "favourite beverage".

Who could forget l1-2&3-4l1-2&3-4-l etc

;)

8. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Virgin screwdrivers from here on out. C'mon guys, I'm allowed a brain fart every now and then. Right?! Right?!

9. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Brain fart sure.But if I hired yah and that was a ear fart well..... lets just say......nevermind

AJ:eek: