1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aux input versatility

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mwbassace, Apr 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. mwbassace

mwbassace

Jul 26, 2010
    N.W. Ohio
    There are times when I would like to be able to play along with songs/recordings thru my rig at home, the grandkids love it. And since I'm in the market for a new head... Is there a head out there that the aux in goes to the cab as well as the headphone jack? Or can this be done by going into the effects return? Or am I better off getting a small PA?

2. Usually everything that goes in to the aux-in goes to the cab.
    Usually everything that goes to the cab can be heard in the headphones.
    So unless I'm missing something in your question, I would think that most any head with an aux-in and headphone jacks would do the trick.

lz4005, pudgychef and Basically Bob like this.
  3. mwbassace

mwbassace

Jul 26, 2010
    N.W. Ohio
    I have an Ampeg PF800 & my understanding is that the aux in only goes to the headphone jack, and most heads are the same way. I hope I am wrong.

4. I can play my iPad through the speaker on both of my Fender combo amps using the aux inputs.
    I can also play my bass through either amp at the same time I am using the aux input with the iPad.
    Then I can plug in headphones on either amp and hear both the bass and the iPad.
    Amps are:
    Frontman 15B
    Rumble 200

Randy Ward and mwbassace like this.
  5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    All Genz Benz, Subway and Genzler amps do exactly this.

These amps also have enough headroom that you could also plug into the input if you didn't need it for your bass. This gives you eq if needed.

6. mwbassace

mwbassace

Jul 26, 2010
    N.W. Ohio
    Thanks OG-B & agedhorse. That's exactly what I'm looking for, as far as aux input abilities. The ability to plug into the input is a cool feature I hadn't thought about! Time to shop!

7. I have not tried going iPad to the instrument input on the Fenders.
    If you do that, you'd probably want to make sure the iPad and the amp has everything turned down first.
    That could be a pretty hot signal coming out of a device normally used with aux inputs.

mwbassace likes this.
  8. dcheming

dcheming

Feb 9, 2018
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I do this all the time with my Mesa D800+ using my cellphone as a source. In fact this is one of the big reasons I went with this particular head: it has all the inputs and outputs that I desired. Versatility is a great thing.

agedhorse, mwbassace and Element Zero like this.
  9. mwbassace

mwbassace

Jul 26, 2010
    N.W. Ohio
    I was just checking that head out on my lunch break. It's actually been on my short list. Gonna look at Genzler after work today.

dcheming likes this.
  10. mwbassace

mwbassace

Jul 26, 2010
    N.W. Ohio
    Hey OG-B, do you know if the fender heads will do this?

Oops just realized the question has been answered.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  11. If that's the case, you might as well just plug headphones directly into the device that you wanted to plug into the aux input. That's being nothing more than a headphone amp for the aux input. Not much utility in that, IMHO.

mwbassace likes this.
  12. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    If you wish to play bass along with a CD/MP-3 through the aux input, the headphone option on the amp might be very important.

13. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    One detail that is different in some amps - Some amps pass the aux in to the headphones in stereo, most do not. I find that very useful - it lets you play along with an MP3 or cd or whatever, and hear things more clearly than if everything is mixed/summed to mono. TC Electronics and Fender Rumble both pass the aux in in stereo, I don't know of any others that do.

FenderB likes this.
  14. A proper mono sum of two stereo channels should not affect the clarity of the audio.
    I think you may be confusing stereo separation with fidelity.

lermgalieu likes this.
  15. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Not confusing anything - I hear things more clearly because of the stereo separation. Having different instruments at different points in the stereo field makes is much easier to pick out certain nuances. which is very useful to me when practicing.

FenderB and Stumbo like this.
  16. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Mill Valley, CA
    Agreed - my Mesa D-800 sums the aux in and it sounds great.

agedhorse likes this.
  17. Yes, I understand the stereo field gives you some semblance of the positional nuances of sound.
    Though you are at the mercy of mic placement and the mix.
    But that's not the same as the fidelity of the signal.

18. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    i literally never said anything about fidelity - I said I hear things more clearly in stereo than in mono.

FenderB likes this.
  19. I won't argue that you hear things in stereo differently than you do in mono.
    But the last time I checked, without proper high fidelity your clarity goes to crap.
    Stereo separation is easier to hear as frequency increases.

lermgalieu likes this.
  20. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I’m not sure where your fixation on fidelity comes from. Passing a stereo aux in signal to a headphone out is a pretty simple bit of circuitry -I design pro audio gear for a living, and maintaining fidelity in that kind of circuitry is a trivial thing. Doing it in stereo versus mono has no bearing on fidelity -it’s just a few more parts.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021