1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

availability, Europe and America.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Faderoktopus, Nov 22, 2010.

1. I am curious about the availablity and street prices of the "industry standard" basses in the US compared to Europe. I'm from Denmark and am used to european bass prices and availability. Since most of the more notorious basses are american made, the prices in Europe reflect the competition with goods that are shipped across the atlantic. Interestingly enough this seems to keep the general price level high, probably because no local company want their basses to look cheaper and thus inferior to the classic brands:p

Anyhow, I would like to hear some thoughts on this and perhaps exchange some info on american availability and common brands. Who knows, ther might be a few surprises here.

I'll start:

I have noticed that on this forum Läkland and Sadowsky tends to get a lot of love. I have played a lot of Läkland in stores, they go for about the same prices as MIA Fenders, EBMM's, Sandberg and other fairly high end stuff. I am not in love with them but I definitely understand the appeal. Sadowsky on the other hand, I have never tried or even seen in person, which is apparently a real shame. Carvins are also quite scarce, and I rarely find G&L's (though when I do they usually come home with me;)).

Of those available well reputed basses mentioned above the german Sandberg are by far the ones that have impressed me the most in terms of consistent build quality and the fact that every instrument can be made to custom specs only slightly more expensive than the american basses mentioned. But I have not seen them mentioned in any threads here, aren't they available in the US? Admittedly, I am new to TB and probably haven't scoured the forum thoroughly enough, but since I haven't stumbled upon the name even once they certainly don't seem to be commonplace.

Also, in a thread on the most common pedals in the TB arsenal there was no mention of Mad Professor pedals, but in Europe they are pretty much the state of the art, and I am pretty sure some Nashville session musicians use them.

Same thing with Stageclix wireless. I found two, perhaps three mentions of the name but nobody seemed to have actually tried them.

I am looking forward to seeing what might be revealed in this thread. Thanks for your help.
    :D

Martin

2. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Sandberg is definitely one of the less popular names around here. I don't think there are a whole lot of dealers for them in the U.S. They're not stocked in any of the giant music chains. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say bad things about the quality, though.

3. Yeah, that's what I thought. Thanks. What about other well-known non-american names that you either see often or not at all?