1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

availability of g.k. fusion 550 ?????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jarrod cunningham, Aug 22, 2007.

1. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    anyone have any recent information ? all the website says is appearing in stores in the beginning of 2007 .... well its almost sept ! any help will be appreciated ....

2. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    anyone?????

3. G-K's sales mgr. told me it is due for release Aug./Sept.

4. Hi guys. Here's the scoop

We're in the middle of our pilot run. We've built 10 units and are field-testing them. We'll be building 50 more units very soon and assuming everything goes well with that we'll be going into full production probably in October.

5. steve21

steve21 Banned

Sweet.

In terms of the "field-test" does this mean you guys are testing them in various things or are they at stores being tested?

If so would there be any near Hollywood or so? I'd love to try one out.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Great news! That was one of the more intriguing heads I heard at NAMM, and I'm very interested to know when the production units will be available. :)

Tom.

7. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    I'm going to be following those Fusion heads very closely - I'm looking forward to trying one out!

I don't think it'll be replacing my 2001RB, but you never know. :smug:

If a prototype goes missing in the next month or so... it wasn't me :ninja:

8. You'll be able to identify the units from the pilot run because the silk screen got screwed up. It says "Hybrid Valve Bsss Head"

9. When we build those 50 units those will end up in stores.

10. asad137

asad137

Jan 18, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Physicist
    Can you say "collector's item"?? Not only because it's a pilot piece, but with a screwed up label to boot! It's like the upside-down airplane stamp!

Asad

11. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    This is the first time I have been tempted by a GK, I am actually quite excited to see one. Also, will this be available in a pre only version??

12. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    i know ill have to have one !!!!!!! when will the preorder begin >?????

13. I'll pay double for one that says "Hybrid Valve Ass head."

Can't wait to hear one of these but I imagine it'll be unlikely that there'll be many in NZ any time soon.

14. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    Isn't there some long running story behind these amps? I swear I read some fascinating thread full of questionable information but fun-filled stories nonetheless.

I also seem to remember back when I was originally looking into getting a 2001RB (almost 5 years ago... i bought it and still play it) there was something on their website mentioning the forthcoming "hybrid amp"... though it obviously has yet to appear. I'm interested in hearing one of these as well.

15. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I played it today, and all I have to say is WOW!!!

Holy huge bass coming out of that. Almost too much low end, it was almost untamable, not that there is anything wrong with that :bassist:

Definitely has some serious tube tone happening in it too.

My only beef is the lame motorized moving knobs. What a useless feature that is. I was hoping you could set up both channels to give you two tones that you could footswitch/toggle between... not the case at all. As the knobs move to the new home, and move back and forth as they settle down, the tone changes, the volume changes, ugh, utterly useless EXCEPT in between songs when you are not playing. As a 2 channel head that you use as you might any second channel on an amp, it is not any good, but if you want a new tone in between songs, it is fine.

I set up a nice clean tubey tone (Pre: 4 Master: 7), then a nice tube growly tone (Pre: 9 Master: 3) that got roughly equal output between them, then started playing a tune that I wanted grit in the chorus. Well, as the Master knob turned itself down and the Pre turned itself up, my volume almost tripled for a second as the knobs mosve up and past each other. HUGE thumbs down for that feature :spit: on what is otherwise a pretty kick ass bass amp.

16. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    I figured the motorized knobs might be a problem.

I can't wait till a shop near me gets one! I really need to try one myself! :bassist:

17. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I know Peavey had problems with motorized pots in the TubeFEX preamp/multieffects. When they designed the TranstubeFEX they did away with motorized pots and instead replaced them with infinite rotation knobs with a LED surround that indicated each one's setting. That allowed at-a-glance view and modification of all preamp settings without the mechanical liability.

18. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Too bad GK can't offer this head with or without the motor knobs. I like it simple and quality.

19. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    You don't have to use the second channel...

...but I'm one of those who definitely would. :meh:

20. The algorithms on the motorized knobs are still being worked out. But it's totally analog so when the knobs move it's as if you were actually turning it yourself. It won't don't that rocking thing when the production version comes out either. I agree it's probably not the best option if you want to switch between tone settings within a song but if you have two basses or want to switch between songs that would be fine.