Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Availability of the Aguilar AG500?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by emjazz, Feb 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm very interested in the Aguilar AG500 and the Epifani 502 amps. I just found out that the Epifani isn't available for some time now (contrary to what their website says). Does anyone know when the Aguilar AG500 will be available? Is it going to stick to the typical NAMM=Not Available till Mid May? If it comes out really soon than I think I'll have to take the plunge and try it out. I hope that other amp companies follow suit and put out smaller two channel amps.

2. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I inquired at a few places about these and every answer I got on their availability was April-May

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I definately need an amp sooner than that..........What to do...........

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    EA,

killer sounding gear that's available now. if anything, feels like a bunch of peeps are sorta following their lead with the hifi sounding, reliable all solid state built circuit, 18 lbs., smallish form factor amp heads, no?

and the black knobs are rather snazzy. :p

www.euphonicaudio.com

5. EAGary

EAGary Registered User

May 27, 2002
    You said it, not me. If only someone out there had something I would want to copy.....

Gary Gibilisco, Euphonic Audio, Inc.

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have to admit that I've owned the iAMP800 and it wasn't for me. It was too sterile for my taste. Of coarse this is my opinion and luckily for EA there are others that disagree. Everyone that heard the amp when I had it agreed with me though. I actually was doing a very popular theater show in Boston when I got it and the pit didn't like the amp at all. I'm looking for something that doesn't have a digital power section. I feel that the power section was one of the main reasons that I didn't like the EA. Frankly, I like a more colored sound. I also like a simpler eq setup. I want an amp that can hit you in the chest with power as well as something that's articulate and warm. I also don't like the compressed sound of some amps like the edens. They really take the dynamics out of playing your instrument.

I really like the idea of two switchable channels as well. I think this is something that should be used more.

Really I think I want a solid state amp and then I want to try a SIB fatdrive tube pre in front of it. This way I'll get the quick response of solid state and I can add as much warmth as I'd like with the SIB. If I had $2200 I'd just get a Woods.

I certainly don't mean in any way to trash EA. I'm just one gigging musician with one opinion. I'm glad that the EA gear does fill others needs though.

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Gary, in no way do I feel that Epifani or Aguilar are copying your design. They may be following a trend that extends from a void in the market but their designs are certainly not derived from your amp. Neither of their amps are digital and neither of them have the complicated eq capabilities that your amp has. If anything their designs come from the concept that Walter Woods has created, a light two channel amp that can be carried with one hand. The difference is that Walter's amps can give more power being that his are digital and their's are limited to a smaller amount of power. I also feel that Epifani and Aguilar are not at all trying to be a part of the "high fi" amp market. They're actually trying to make warmer sounding small amplifiers that are solid state.

Please, get off of your high horse.

Maybe that's more of a harsh statement than I should make. I know that this is a forum and we can only read what's written, without the emotion or inflection of a human voice. I just found your statement to be out of place and driven by ego. If you have something to add to the question that I posed than I'd be happy to have you comment. Otherwise, please do not.

I do however appreciate joker's suggestion. Thanks man.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, that's too bad you found that with the EA head. "sterile" maybe, but then again, i'm a big Acme cab fan, too. *shrug*

tho, the EA cab isnt necessarily my first choice, i'm more and more realizing that their amps are some amazingly well engineered pieces of bass equipment. i like to think i take my gear pretty seriously, and if anything, find that, in its particular class, where the Aguilar AG500 and Epifani UL502 dwell, EA does offer one of the more versatile, and unbelievably well thought out amp heads on the market today. and they did it first.

the EQ section is pretty cool and unique, and heck, for something that's 800 watts @ 4 ohms, or 1000 watts @ 2 ohms, and weighs only 18 farkin' lbs., the iAMP800 aint exactly no slouch. and yea, to my ear, it sounds dang nasty good! and if you've got a Bergantino cab, the combination of those two together is just heavenly!

sure, Aguilar seems to rule the roost with their all tube designs, but IMHO, its EA who really know how to milk the "ss" tech for all its worth. and do they get some killer results.

but i dont think Gary's on any high horse. if anything, i'm the one that made that rather ill assumption. then again, if somebody's first to the line with something that is starting to look more and more ubiquitious, you can help but wonder, no? ;)

besides, i need a small, lightweight head, and if anything, that iAMP500 is starting to look more and more inviting. :p

9. Knowing Gary, I read the comment in question as having been made in a good natured way, with just a hint of irony. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt. Remember, the iAmp was a pioneer for a new class of product. Recently there are a number of competitors in this arena, like the AG500. As Joker mentioned, there are good alternatives to the Aggie which are available now.

Personally I'm looking forward to reading some TBer's reviews of the AG500 and perhaps some first-hand comparisons with the iAmp.

10. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I just picked up an Iamp 500 and I have to say that if you know how to use the EQ these amps can sound like whatever you want. It would only sound "sterile" if thats what you want it to sound like or you if don't know how to EQ it to your liking.
    I think musicians and manufacturers are realizing that putting a tube in a preamp does not necessarily give you a "tube" sound. IMO the tube power sections make a huge difference when going for the tube sound. People are realizing that a well designed all SS amp can give you a great sound and the new amps coming out are reflecting this. I think GK was actually the first bass amp company to adopt this approach way back when.
    One of the best things about these amps is the size and weight. My girlfriend didn't mind carrying the amp home from the gig last night!

11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Hmm....small, lightweight (under 20 lbs), reasonably high powered amp (300 watts or more @ 4 ohms), good tone shaping controls...

....hmm....

Anyone remember this:

Eden WT-300?

Folks, they did it in the early 90's, everyone else followed suit. David Nordschow has continued to improve and update the idea. Is it for everyone? Naw, it's too "wooly" for some folks, but if you dig the tone, the newest version (WT-550) is an amazing amp.

The one I'm waiting to see/hear is the Demeter amp: HBP-1 preamp and a 600 watt mosfet power section....mmmhmmm....(oh yeah, y'know who designed the first Eden preamp? Jim Demeter. :D)

There is a preponderance of GREAT small, high-powered heads out there, or about to be (EA, Eden, Mesa Boogie, Aguilar, Epifani, Demeter). It's a good time to be an aging bassist that's tired of lugging a 50 lb+ amp!!! What's even better is that there is such a variety of available different, but still wonderful, tones in them! :D

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I definately don't know Gary. Of coarse let's give him the benefit of the doubt. Again, I only got what I read. Gary is as welcomed to this forum as is anyone. That's what makes it so great here. I've heard that Gary's a good guy as well. I know first hand that EA's customer service is great.

I definately like the direction that bass amps are going. They're getting smaller and lighter with plenty of power for anyone. Of coarse, everyone has their own opinion as to what sounds good to them and that's why it's so good to have so many amp companies right now. It's true, the iAMP did not appeal to me. I'm borrowing an Eden WT-300 right now and I'm not into that. It's definately cool for what it does though. Interestingly, I do like the WT-800 much better though.

I'm very intrigued by the thought of a Demeter "head". I'll keep my eyes out for that one. I really like the Demeter thing. I havn't heard the Demeter HBP-1 preamp but I like the idea of having a tube front end with a solid state parametric eq. I also love my Demeter onboard pre.

I have to say that I feel that even one tube in a preamp makes a difference. It slows the response of your signal and gives a different feel to playing the bass as well as a different sound. I love the transient response of solidstate but I like a little tube mixed in for a roundness and warmth that you just cannot get from an all solidstate signal path. Again, just my preference.

One preamp that I've found that's fantastic is Jack Read's Purity preamp. www.readcustom.com. It's a beautiful design and it has a completely tube signal path. It's very, very quick for a tube preamp as well. It's a very clean sound too which is what made me sell it. It would be perfect for a purist (pun intended) as well as for a studio. I have a feeling that it would be the ultimate studio pre for bass. Beautiful preamp. I thought that I was more of a purist with tone but I like some solidstate mixed in there.

The thing that I didn't like about the Boogie is that it seemed cheaply made. I like Boogie as a company though. I'll be sure to check out the Boogie amp today. I'm going to GC with my Berg 112 and Roscoe in hand to try a Gallien-Krueger amp already. I may settle with that and a SIB fatdrive for the time being untill I'm in Boston and gigging more. Hopefully when I'm looking for a better amp later in the year the Epifani and the Aguilar will be out to try.

13. EAGary

EAGary Registered User

May 27, 2002
    Wow, I didn't mean to create such a frenzy! I was simply responding to the post that EA appears to be setting a market trend regarding compact bass amplification, and more specifically and recently, with Class D amplification. I agree that the EA sound is not for everyone, and there are many good products to choose from. But I do find it interesting that the new Aguilar and Bergantino amps (as far as I can confirm) have Class D amplifiers. Now honestly, where do you think they got the idea from? Class D was not in their vocabulary until the iAmp800 appeared. And dat's dat. You might also find it interesting that a few of the big companies have diseccted the iAmp800 to see how it works.

I have been in the amplifier business for a long time, and I remember going to the big companies 10 years ago trying to sell the Class D design. They blew me off, and said it would never work. Oh well.

If I had to count, the sudden switch and interest to Class D amps is the forth incident where EA has been copied. See if you can figure out what the other three were? And, I don't particularly like horses, so you won't find me on one.

Gary Gibilisco, EA, Inc.

14. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Bergantino amps? Is this the big secret I heard about?

15. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Gary,
    Bergantino amp? Where did you hear that? You need to get a better industry "sneak"! :D

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think Gary meant to say Epifani instead of Bergantino. Now, if Berg made an amp I wouldn't even have to see it to buy it.

Sorry about the horse comment. I got a little over excited. (sticks hoof in mouth)

17. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Well, I know the new Ampeg PortaBass 800 has 2 independant channels with their own EQ's, like the WW amps.That might be an option.

18. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    When is that going to be available?

19. EAGary

EAGary Registered User

May 27, 2002
    Sorry, I stand corrected. I meant Epifani, not Bergantino.

Gary, EA, Inc.

20. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Cool! After reading my post I realized it looked a lot more harsh than I had intended. I just get defensive about Jim B and his stuff! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.