Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

avalon di

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by smooth, Nov 22, 2001.

1. smooth

smooth

Nov 22, 2001
    jax fl
    hey i am looking to buy a d.i. i have checked out the avalon . it is like 550.00 has anyone used it before? if so what is your take on it ?

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Haven't used it myself but all I've heard about it is everyone's praise. It's supposed to be one of the top models out there. I don't think you would regret an eventual purchase later on!

3. Best DI I ever plugged anything into. Really open and warm sounding. I've used them live and to record bass, violin, bouzouki and acoustic guitar. Avalon anything is amazing. Of course if you don't want to spend that kind of money there are a lot of really nice DIs out there for way less. Check out the Countryman FET-85, the Radial JDI and JDV, SCV, and BSS. These are all high quality, good sounding DIs. The Radial and Countryman DIs are indestructible.

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I can attest to the high quality of the Countryman Type 85. You can run it over by a truck and it won't break. Considering it's extreme simple construction, it might seem as a lot of money to cough up, but it's clean clean clean CLEAN, I kid you not! Of course, that's pretty much all it is.

Seems to me as the Avalon is a totally different animal - the Countryman is just a simple active DI, powered with a single 9V battery (or phantom power if you have that option). The Avalon requires a wall socket, but also functions as a preamp with tone-shaping abilities. Am I right when I assume that it could make for a practice amp as well, paired with headphones?

*looks at the black box lying on the desk*
    - Son, why aren't you more like that Avalon kid?

5. Yeah, the Avalon is in a bit of a different class than the Countryman...There is a headphone output, although it might be an expensive way to listen to yourself play on headphones:D... There are 6 preset EQ curves, kind of like contour switches on bass amps. I've never heard any other DI that could reproduce the kind of low end that the Avalon does. Beautiful, tight detail, way way low. The countryman is still a damn good DI. I've been using the same 4 for 6 years, and I've never seen one go down. And I've seen some serious abuse heaped on them.