Avalon/QSC for Thunderfunk?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassJunkie730, Sep 21, 2005.

1. BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    So guys please let me know if I'm not crazy and I'm in for an upgrade.

I emailed Dave about trading my U5 - QSC 1602 rig outright for the TFB550. Why?

for me it's

Less weight,
    more EQ control,
    more versatile without getting huge (phones, pre and post Effects Loop, DI - well I will buy another U5 when I record again :D )
    More of an old school vibe.

Do you all think this is an upgrade. Right now I do, but i'd be interested to hear from other Funk users about going from a pre/power rig to this head. Did you feel like you lost headroom? overall volume? did you get more headroom? more mojo maybe?

I'm also in the market for a single cab (or a two cab combo TOPS) for this guy.

I had a 1210 and sold it because I felt I needed more overall volume (damn rock band) - but my tastes are getting more refined (so I'll trade tone for volume - just as long as I still retain a gig volume that can handle its own in many indoor venues without PA support.) I was ready to move on a schroeder 410, but I'm having cold feet when hearing about the NV610 which I could potentially get for less than the 410.

I'm looking for Low mids which is the schroeder's bread and butter. Maybe I answered my own question. :)

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I did the upgrade a while back from pre/power to Thunderfunk and never regretted it. Most of my gigs need under 500W, so I've never felt headroom as an issue.
    It's also been great for better portability, which as you know is huge in NYC. I have an epifani 2-10 ul and a 1-12 ul, I only take one of those to a gig usually and get all the volume I need.
  3. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    TFB550+NV610? ...tasty!
  4. I am a TF fanatic... really like them... own two! I had the pleasure of playing through the U5 at a small TB hang yesterday evening. My impression of it was... amazing direct box, but practically the size of an amp and limited as a stand alone preamp. I did not like most of the presets at all, although the 'flat' sound was great. I would think you would be very happy with the TF550, given the size, the loud output per its modest 500 watts, and the huge amount of tone shaping capability that you would get (as always, IMO!)
  5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I would've said get the TF550 and a Schroeder 410, but I see you already wrote that.
    The 1210 was not enough volume-wise? You need to tell the guitarists that it's about practicing or playing, not about going deaf... The 1210 is rated for 850W. With a base efficinency rating of 102dB@1W, it would be around 130dB at full power, and that's plenty loud.
  6. BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Funny, it didn't sound like 130dB :D

Actually I'm thinking about a pair of bag end S15Ds
    The tone favors mids and low mids.
    They are small but stack up to almost the size of the NV610.
    they are loud and articulate.
    I don't play with a ton of lowend fullness nor o I like clicky highs - these might also sound great with some overdrive.
    and lastly the price is definitely right. less money on good cabs means more money to cover the Thunderfunk cost.

I'm definitely still open to suggestions. I wonder how the S15D stack compares to the Schroeder 410 and the Bergie NV610 considering they are all reputed to be "mid-heavy" cabs.

Hmmmm... the G.A.S. gears are turning.

7. mgbass

Mar 31, 2004
    Northern KY
    Gotta tell you that I just got a Thunderfunk 2 months ago and I stopped using a QSC 2402/Demeter/Avalon U5, I still cannot believe the sound from the TF.

Everything you can read on all of the TB threads are true, fabulous piece of equipment, you can dial it in to almost every tone you need.

I use it with an Accugroove El Wappo, the combination has cured all G.A.S. (for the moment).
    Take a good look at the Accugroove cabs.

I play with several very loud acts, from rock to horn driven blues band and I have never had any problem keeping up with all of their volume.

The Avalon is the soundmans and the studio's best friend, great gear for recording and big PA's...I am sure you know that.

But,,,rest assured the TF will meet all your expectations and still have some juice left.

Good luck !!!
  8. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Me too!

I had been using an F-1X/PLX1602 setup into two Aggie 112s as my main rig. I love it. Still. But since getting my TF550, I am finding so many more viable tone options...easily...just by using the enhance and timbre controls. I can make an EB-3 sound 'alive'...just by tweaking the timbre. If you have never tried it...trust me, it's a challenge! Conversely, I can make my G-bass, which is both hot and bright, sound like the stereotypical P-bass. by dialing down the timbre.
    Honestly, Dave could pretty much eliminate all other tone shaping controls on the amp, save the enhance and timbre...I would never miss them...and I am a (tone) control freak. Build quality is first rate...it's hand built, for crying out loud. Almost to order. Another perk...it's the LOUDEST 500 watt amp I have ever heard! No distortion. No breakup...nada...zero! I love my Aggie 112s. It is a challenge, to say the least, to get a bunch of volume out of a single cab. What everybody says about the second Aggie 112 is totally correct...it's a whole new beast...far beyond "doubling". That said, the Thunderfunk drives a single Aggie 112 to volume levels that I thought would be unatainable. Easily. Two Aggies and the TF are a monster!
    While I love (ane will NEVER sell) my F-1X/PLX setup...the TF is now my main amp.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    A 15 lb tone monster.

I had a U5, it was nice. I don't miss it... at all.

10. +1.....

Did I say THAT?? :eek: :eyebrow: :oops: ...I agree wholeheartedly!! I don't want to use anything else in my live rig except a T-Funk!!