1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Avalon U5 & Aguilar DB728 = ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bdeaux, Jul 30, 2007.

1. bdeaux

bdeaux Bass, the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2002
    Salt Lake City based
    Branden Campbell
    Has anyone tried this setup? Seems like it would sound pretty fat. What about clarity?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I imagine it would be pretty boss. I've used my U5 in front of SS amps, but never tubes. You'd have the pristine clarity of the U5 going in, with the warm tubeyness coming out of the DB728. It's gotta sound good.

3. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Oh yeah.. that would sound great. Tom Bowlus is the only guy i know who had both pieces of gear.. ask him by PM, and have him add it to this thread.

4. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Though I dont think it would be bad I dont know that they would be a great compliment. The main characteristics of those two components are opposite. The U5 is clear while the 728 is fat and thick. You will probably lose the clarity of the U5 through the 728. Live could be useful if you want a fat stage sound while at the same time sending a clear sound to the PA from the U5.

5. I would imagine it would sound great together... I don't think fat/thick are the opposites of clear/clean...

6. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Well perhaps not the opposite but I tend to think about them that way. Rarely does an extra think and fat sound come with lots of clarity and vice versa.

My thoughts on it are that the U5 is crystal clear. Once you put it through the 728 it will not sound as clear. My experience with the 728 is that it adds its stamp on everything (a good thing IMO, loved that amp). I definitely think it would sound good but Im just trying to think of something beyond the typical "I think it would sound good." :D

7. cool, no problem, wasn't trying to take you down or anything :)

I do agree with what you are trying to express to a certain degree... I think they will probably clash slightly, but thats what I think will make them sound good together - that each will bring a tone to the sound that the other can't but I guess that might also detract from the purity of each slightly as well.

All good, I'd still love to give it a go!

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I never did use that particular combination, and I have since traded away the U5, sorry. :(

Tom.

9. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I think it would probably sound great. It would be a close (but not exact) duplication of the signal chain Geddy Lee uses for his clean tone.

10. B3bopbass

B3bopbass

Apr 28, 2005
    That combo works very well...given that you like everything about the DB728.

Yes, the U5 is crystal clear, and it's exactly the type of front end that the DB728 likes, maybe even needs. Not only is it clear, it's also quick, which is perhaps what allows it to work well with the DB728, the amp having a softer, pillowy kind of response than your typical solid state amp.

The way I see it, the U5 serves to preserve the type of signal going into the amp, and you'll get the amp's signature in your sound. On the other hand, say you chose a very clean sounding amp, Glockenklang comes to mind, you could color your sound, or not, with your choice in preamp.

But to make a long answer longer...back to my original statement. U5 + DB728 is a good thing.

11. bdeaux

bdeaux Bass, the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2002
    Salt Lake City based
    Branden Campbell
    I'm still considering this. I usually like a driven SVT sound, but I figure I can use the Fulltone Bass Drive in front of the U5 to get some dirt when I want it.