Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Avalon U5 and Aguilar OBP-3

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kringle77, Oct 11, 2005.

1. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Does anyone use the combo together? I was thinking about running this preamp and my compessor staight into an Avalon U5. I love the avalon but always wish there was a way to tweak the sound just alittle on the highs and low mids. I don't want to throw a regular eq in front of the u5 as it will change the tone alittle. Im thinking that the aguilar might give the slight tweak that I want without ruining the Avalons great sound.

2. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I too will be doing this soon. I have a bass with an OBP-3 in it and am waiting on a U5 as well as a demeter compulator to bung in front of it. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm most certain it will be more than satisfactory...

3. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    My set up: OBP-1 equipped J bass=>Demeter Compulator=>Avalon U5=>foh board

kringle's right on the money as far as the OBP allowing some tone tweaking without changing the Avalon's stellar tonal quality. The OBP-3 would probably be even better, given the mid control. The U5 just takes the already great sounding output from the OBP and makes it bigger and better.

One caveat: running at 18v and with some fairly hot pickups, you'll find yourself dialing back on the pickup volume, especially if you use a bit of that Aguilar bass boost (and who can resist that?). It is possible to clip the input on the U5.

James: I've been an "always on" compressor user and find the Compulator to be a very nice unit. That said, it's been left in bypass most of the time since I got the U5. For some reason, I don't seem to need compression with the U5 and, as quiet as the Demeter is, the Avalon is so quiet and delivers such full-spectrum sound I can hear the Compulator's noise pretty clearly.

For the time being (don't know how long-- the tone quest continues!), I guess I'm into the less-is-more mode of thinking re: signal chain... for now... :D

4. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Great, that is what I wanted to hear!

5. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    So you find the input of all things easy to clip? That's a rather odd thing to know... I"ll keep it in mind.

Even though you said the demeter is quiet, you have got me a little worried about the noise that you mentioned. How bad is it?

And as far as the less-is-more thing, how much more minimalist than a U5 without using the eq presets? I am really looking forward to the plug and play thing. It's good to hear feedback from someone in the same gear situation as I plan to be in. Thanks!!!

6. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    James,

My U5 will distort if I have both pickup volume pots cranked and have the bass boost on the OBP at maybe 50% or greater. I read this as input clipping on the U5, but I may be wrong...

Since the OBP-1 doesn't have treble cut, I use this setting for a Jamerson type sound. To reduce the distortion, I crank back the pickup volume pots on the bass and then I can increase the output gain on the U5 if need be.

Maybe I an have exceptionally hot signal out on my bass, but that's what I find happens with my set up.

I can also get a pretty nice scooped sound (which I like for certain situations) with the U5 tone control set at position 2. Really don't need much bass boost for that, so the OBP can be set closer to flat. This makes the input clipping go away as well, even with the pickup volumes at full on.

Re; the Demeter comp, it really is quiet as comps go, but does introduce some noise to the signal chain, especially when compared to the ultra-quiet U5. Easy does it on the gain control-- use the Avalon to make gain, not the Demeter. In fact, it seems quieter to me if the Demeter is attenuating a bit.

On the less-is-more topic-- yes, I agree. Bass=>u5 is about as minimal as it gets, and the sound is so good it might make you forget all about your stomp boxes!

7. Just so you guys know, a compressor necessarily makes the signal seem noisier. There is noise coming in, correct? And the compressor can't subtract that. The compressor takes the signal, and cuts down the higher output level peaks, dialing them back down a bit. What happens to the signal/noise ratio if you leave the noise alone and reduce the signal at times? Signal gets closer to the noise floor, and the signal/noise ratio suffers.

I can't change the laws of physics, Cap'n.

Randy

8. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    And what puts that noise in your face is the makeup gain being applied (even if it's just you turning up your amp to compensate for the gain reduction made by the compressor). This extra gain is being applied whether the compressor's threshold is being triggered or not and brings up the noise of every device preceeding the compressor (and after if you're turning the amp up). That's why a compressor may seem 'hissy' when it's just sitting there doing nothing.

9. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I never needed a compressor when I used a U5 either. I would still be using it but went to a head as I wanted to downsize a bit. I used a Bartolini equipped bass right to the Avalon and then the amp. It sounded really nice.

I miss my Avalon....