Avalon U5 Direct Box

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Christopher, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Does anyone have any experience with this box and double bass? I'm currently casting about for a buffer/DI. This one seems to be the cream of the crop, but I wonder whether it's worth $500+. Others I'm considering are the Sadowsky preamp, Raven Labs PHA-1 and Tech 21 Sansamp Bass Driver.
  2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I can't comment the Avalon, but I use a TubeWorks 4001 DI and am quite satisfied. The tube (12AX7A) is in the output stage (cathode follower). The input is solid-state.
    It has instrument and speaker level inputs, and 1/4" and XLR outputs. XLR has a normal/boost setting.

Hope this helps.
  3. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    The U/5 is a very high quality piece with defetable EQ for direct throughput and all Class A circutry which requires a much larger power supply. For what your getting it's actually a very fair price.

The only problem you might run into is the input impedence is on the low side for pizeo pickups. I would highly recomend an audition with your system before purchasing.

I have a PHA-1 that I use as a tune learning tool and it served me well as a backup preamplifier while the Navigator was in the shop. For your application you should check out the Raven-Labs MD__ the purple two channel mixer.
  4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Thanks for the input, guys. I ultimately went with the Tech 21 Acoustic DI, which Eli talked up on the BG side. It's a terrific box; very musical sounding EQ with a versatile semi-parametric mid control. Cured the Realist's microphonic harshness and feedback problems with little to no tweaking. The super-high input impedance (4.7 megaohms) makes it a perfect match for piezos. I've posted a review to Harmony Central, which should be up shortly.

The Avalon is sexy, but it's not exactly gigging gear.