Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Avalon U5 Direct Box

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Christopher, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Does anyone have any experience with this box and double bass? I'm currently casting about for a buffer/DI. This one seems to be the cream of the crop, but I wonder whether it's worth $500+. Others I'm considering are the Sadowsky preamp, Raven Labs PHA-1 and Tech 21 Sansamp Bass Driver.

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I can't comment the Avalon, but I use a TubeWorks 4001 DI and am quite satisfied. The tube (12AX7A) is in the output stage (cathode follower). The input is solid-state.
    It has instrument and speaker level inputs, and 1/4" and XLR outputs. XLR has a normal/boost setting.

Hope this helps.

3. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    The U/5 is a very high quality piece with defetable EQ for direct throughput and all Class A circutry which requires a much larger power supply. For what your getting it's actually a very fair price.

The only problem you might run into is the input impedence is on the low side for pizeo pickups. I would highly recomend an audition with your system before purchasing.

I have a PHA-1 that I use as a tune learning tool and it served me well as a backup preamplifier while the Navigator was in the shop. For your application you should check out the Raven-Labs MD__ the purple two channel mixer.

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Thanks for the input, guys. I ultimately went with the Tech 21 Acoustic DI, which Eli talked up on the BG side. It's a terrific box; very musical sounding EQ with a versatile semi-parametric mid control. Cured the Realist's microphonic harshness and feedback problems with little to no tweaking. The super-high input impedance (4.7 megaohms) makes it a perfect match for piezos. I've posted a review to Harmony Central, which should be up shortly.

The Avalon is sexy, but it's not exactly gigging gear.