Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Avalon U5 + EQ question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KenToby, Feb 20, 2003.

1. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    I just picked up an Avalon U5 DI/Preamp; yea, it definatly the best in its class for sure. What I'm trying to do is this: Since there are only 6 filter presets to choose from on the Avalon, I'm looking to supplement it with an additional EQ (I have graphic, parametric and stomp-box type EQ's to choose from). I don't want to degrade or color the Avalon tone in any way, I'm simply looking to fine tune what I'm already getting. I need input as to how to best utilize an EQ in my chain while retaining great tone. Here are the 2 set-ups I'm working with:

Set up #1).

- Avalon U5
    - QSR RMX 850
    - Compressor
    - EQ

Set-up #2).

- Avalon
    - Eden WT400 plus
    - Compressor
    - EQ
    Note: The Eden already has a parametric built into it so an additional EQ might be over kill, what do you think?

2. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Sounds good to me.:) I'm looking at an Avalon myself. They any good?

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm curious about what you're trying to accomplish. The Eden has more EQ than you'll ever need, and the Avalon isn't going to do much for the Eden's tone. Also, if you don't spend $500 or so on an EQ, you'll just degrade the sound of the Avalon and/or Eden.

The strength of the Avalon is in using it by itself to go into the board. Between it and the on-board EQ of my better basses, there's ample tonal variation available, eliminating any need for a separate EQ.

If you go with the Eden, Avalon and an outboard EQ in your signal path, you'll have infinite EQ available on the Eden, times six for the Avalon, times infinity for something like a True Blue EQ, equalling six infinities of infinity tones available. What's the point?

To buy all this equipment to put in a single chain is a waste of cash. To have each one available for different situations as required is defensible.

4. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Munjibunga

I use NO tone controls at all. I do everything at the bass. I want to take the ouput of a Avalon or something and run it into a small Stewart World amp with an Aguilar 1x12 or two. What do you think?

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This sounds like a good idea. If you do feel the temptation, you can try out the EQ presets. Position 2 is a nice smiley face, while 3 and 4 give a little mid punch. I plugged my 55-94 into the U5, then went straight to my Mackie SR1530s and was blown away by the clean, full sound I got. It's great if volume is not an issue. With the power amp and cabs you picked, it should rule. (Although I'm not a big fan of 12's, I've heard the Aggies are good.)

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's the way I would use it, JR... and I also haven't found the need to use my amp's EQ or shelving tone controls.

BTW I agree completely with what Munji said.

7. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Sounds good to me. Maybe that's why I've gone through so many basses. I feel that if I can't get the sound I want out of a bass (with assistance from the amp controls) then I have the wrong bass. I pan slightly towards the front pup, and add little bass and that's it.

Where is the output of the Avalon to feed an amp?
    Is the headphone jack powerfull enough to drive a pair of Hi-Z headphones (I use a $300 pair of Sennheiser HD 600's-Awesome). Is the headphone jack clean?

8. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    My bass goes into the compressor (to even out the peaks and valleys of my various playing styles) then into the Avalon U5 (flavor) then into the Eden head (detailed EQ and amplification).

Someone mentioned something about EQ overkill. My EQ's are being used as follows:

I set the bass EQ flat, I set the Avalon to my favorite setting of #2. With the Eden EQ set flat, I then I make very slight adjustments to suit the guitar I'm playing. For the rest of the night I then use the guitar EQ to adjust for subtle variations in the material I happen to be playing. If I change guitars between sets, I start the process over. As you can see, each EQ serves a distinct and logical purpous. Try this philosophy and tell me what you think. I love it!!
    I should mention, this set-up is for my stage monitor only. The sound guy takes his feed out of the back of the Avalon, that way he can tweek the house EQ as he needs to and I can independently adjust the Eden EQ without affecting his house settings.

Talk about a win-win situation!!

9. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    The 1/4" is on the front panel right next to the output jack i think. And you can also run mic or line level XLR outs from the back...

Yes, and yes. I use Grado S80's and they like power - but there's plenty more available (i usually am around 4 on boost) so it would probably drive your phones as well. The headphone jack is clean and tight - just like the output.