Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Avalon U5 - favorite tone settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassaroo, Jan 3, 2006.

1. bassaroo

bassaroo

Dec 9, 2005
    Do you guys use all tone settings 1 to 4?

Or, are you like me?

- once I hit setting #2 - I just can't go back! It's like a drug!

Am I a lush to just stay on #2?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Number 2 is scooped and sounds cool when you're playing alone. It won't make it throught the mix in a live situation, though. Numbers 3 and 4 are better for cutting through. I like #4.

3. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Setting 4 does the trick for me and my SR5 as well. When I first got my U5, curve 2 did seduce me with it's "sheen", but then I heard some "board recordings" of some of our gigs, and realized that what Munji said is true... #2 gets lost in a mix.

Of course, that's live. You can do wonders in a studio.

Have you tried the bypass switch yet? When I play edgier, rockier material, I use a Rickenbacker 4001C64S and a Yamaha BB1200... and let their tones come through without any interference from the "tone bank". Depending on your bass, your rig (the rest of it) and the material you play, it might work for you too!

4. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Interesting. I'd like to hear more. I am picking one up for the CD we are recording over the next couple months.

I plan on running one signal from my Sadowsky PJ5's into a U5 and another signal into an LA610.

Anyone else have more info on the U5?

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

What the heck is this doing in Basses?

Moved to Amps.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    people use this for the tone settings?

7. bassaroo

bassaroo

Dec 9, 2005
    Thanks a lot, Munjibunga and bigbajo60, I really appreciate your helping me out - your insights and experience are invaluable!