Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Avalon U5: How much "Boost" do you add?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Feb 10, 2004.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

i was wondering how much of the boost knob can i use with the U5 into my Stewart World 1.2. should i just crank the volume of the stewart and use the Avalon's "boost" knob as a main volume?

also, how much boost can i add into my stewart before i do some damage to the power amp? what spec should i check to see if it'll handle the U5's output?

how are you guys running your volume setup?

http://www.avalondesign.com/instrudi.html
    http://www.stewartaudio.com/world12.html

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    For small rooms, I was using the U5 boost at 4-5 and my PLX bridged at about 12-1 O'clock (no DI). For larger rooms, 6-7 on the U5 and 1-2 O'clock/PLX and I'd run the DI out to the PA for help as needed. :cool: I tried more with U5 boost and the signal got a little too hot for my liking... I'd be careful with that overly-sensitive Stewie! :crying: :eek:

3. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I am not using my U5 as a preamp any more, I am using it as a DI (shocking, ain't it) and a Focusrite Platinum Trakmaster as a preamp.

BUT back when I did I used volume settings 4 to 6 on the U5 and varied the volume on my bridged Stewart 1.2 from about noon to 2:00. I had a little hum with the U5 plus Stewart that I could never track down, and these settings kept it to a minimum.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    cool,

well which output were you guys using? i'm using the mic line. cant imagine where the noise would come from. :meh:

5. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I used the line output. I generally play with the -20dB light on the Stewart flashing or mostly just staying on. Saved the mic output for DI use.

(Re. the hum, I was being very fussy about it, like you need to be within two feet of the speaker cone in a dead-quiet room. But the Focusrite has none that I can hear. And the U5 with a QSC PLX 1602 had none, either.)