1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Avalon U5: How much "Boost" do you add?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Feb 10, 2004.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

i was wondering how much of the boost knob can i use with the U5 into my Stewart World 1.2. should i just crank the volume of the stewart and use the Avalon's "boost" knob as a main volume?

also, how much boost can i add into my stewart before i do some damage to the power amp? what spec should i check to see if it'll handle the U5's output?

how are you guys running your volume setup?

http://www.avalondesign.com/instrudi.html
    http://www.stewartaudio.com/world12.html

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    For small rooms, I was using the U5 boost at 4-5 and my PLX bridged at about 12-1 O'clock (no DI). For larger rooms, 6-7 on the U5 and 1-2 O'clock/PLX and I'd run the DI out to the PA for help as needed. :cool: I tried more with U5 boost and the signal got a little too hot for my liking... I'd be careful with that overly-sensitive Stewie! :crying: :eek:

3. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I am not using my U5 as a preamp any more, I am using it as a DI (shocking, ain't it) and a Focusrite Platinum Trakmaster as a preamp.

BUT back when I did I used volume settings 4 to 6 on the U5 and varied the volume on my bridged Stewart 1.2 from about noon to 2:00. I had a little hum with the U5 plus Stewart that I could never track down, and these settings kept it to a minimum.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    cool,

well which output were you guys using? i'm using the mic line. cant imagine where the noise would come from. :meh:

5. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I used the line output. I generally play with the -20dB light on the Stewart flashing or mostly just staying on. Saved the mic output for DI use.

(Re. the hum, I was being very fussy about it, like you need to be within two feet of the speaker cone in a dead-quiet room. But the Focusrite has none that I can hear. And the U5 with a QSC PLX 1602 had none, either.)