Avalon U5 in a rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yamarc, Nov 30, 2002.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I know there have been lots o threads about this in the past, but I am wanting some current opinions of how the U5 is as the sole preamp in a rig. Thanks
  2. i haven't tried the U5, but i recently laid some tracks in a studio here and i played through another avalon pre which the studio owned. its the same one that's in this month's bass player magazine, and it goes for $2200 list or so. talk about transparent! man, its funny. i played a stingray 5 on a couple tracks and a ken smith neck through on a couple of others, and its amazing how much better my smith sounded than the ray 5. it was such a sweet tone with the smith - warm and punchy, with nice bite. i found that the ray sounded quite harsh through this preamp. the reason i say its funny, is that i usually play the ray 5 on gigs through my eden cab, because i don't like the smith sound through that cab. the bottom line is, that this avalon pre let the true sound of these basses shine through, and without the coloration i'm used to hearing through my cab.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've used the U5 as a preamp to the board at a gig, and it was great. Only about four of the six tone presets are suitable for bass, but you can fine-tune them with the EQ on the bass. Nice, clean tone, like we all love.

BTW, the U5 lists at $595 and can be bought for under $500. I think the VT-737SP is the one that lists at about $2,295.