Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Avalon U5 or SWR Baby Blue Head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yamarc, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    List pros and cons of each here, which do you think is better for a non-professional bass player. I sometimes play medium gig and run my Modulus Q5 into an Aphex 204. So I am looking for something that is pretty clean and audiophile. The Baby blue has the advantage of a power amp and adjustable frequencies as well as a blendable effects loop..but how does the Avalon sound? Clear or phat? Any advice would eb appreciated, Marc

2. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    The Avalon U5 is very hi-fi, very big, clean sound. I use one as a preamp together with a Stewart 1.2 and like the resulting sound a lot. Sorry, haven't used a baby blue to compare it to.

3. The Avalon is designed cleanly represent the tone of whatever is put in front of it.

The SWR Baby Blue gives the "SWR signiture" bass tone and is designed specifically for bass.
    Besides the excellent EQ, tube direct SLR out, the Blue does have the "extra" benefit of a power amp which would be useful for small gigs and monitoring.

Your decision should be based upon personal tone taste.

Me? I'm for equipment designed for Bass.
    The Avalon is a tool that works great for anything,
    but I don't play just anything.

4. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    To start with you have a fine instrument which we'll assume has an equaly fine onboard preamp. If your truly interested in a hi-fi/audiophile sound I don't understand the Baby Blue as even an option. Yes, its designed for bass, and you get a power amplifier, but in my opinion that's the problem. A more hi-fi combo would be somthing like the Euphonic Audio or Acoustic Image.

What sets the U/5 apart is that it's a class A design with a massive power supply, something you won't find in the majority of bass orientated preamplifiers.

An option would be to couple the U/5 with the Raven-Labs True Blue EQ and a power amp from Carver Pro, QSC, Stewart, etc. driving any AccuGroove cabinet.

5. I got me a U5. I love the tone, and so do sound techs. There is some quality stuff in there, and you can really tell when you hear it in a live mix. From the U5, I go into my regular amplifier so I can hear myself on stage.

As far as working "for anything", the U5 has a few preset EQ curves that you can choose from, or you can have it flat (and selectable hi-cut). If your source sounds great already, you probably won't need much more.

6. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Funky

Cycling? Motor or legs? Road or dirt?