Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Avalon U5 Owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bernie Connors, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Do you use any outboard EQ with your U5? If so, which one?

Thanks

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    kind of defeats the purpose, don'tchya think? :cool: :smug:

3. Well, the Millenia Origin has a parametric eq on it and it's main attribute is transparency, so I don't think so. Same with the Avalon 737sp.

4. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    so in that case, i can recommend the raven labs true blue although i don't use it with my U5. ;)

5. Thanks for the recommendation.

Do you run it flat or use any of the EQ curves?

6. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i have a demeter vtbp-201 w/out a jensen DI... so i like a somewhat "cleaner" tone to begin with: not many tricks there but the tricks it has are good ones. i tend to run the avalon straight to record, which is all i use it for at the moment.
    ***read: i have yet to use it live***
    i really have no need for the EQ settings in that setting. i do find that they are actually rather usable in certain preamp settings though, particularly for passive basses. i like to run my skb-3006 with bartolini's unaffected. i think that it would certainly make a viable back-up in a worst-case scenario. YMMV
    :bassist:

7. Thanks!

I guess I should've said that I was talking about using one as a preamp and not just a DI. That changes things I guess. :p