1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Avalon U5 pre/DI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metron, Jun 4, 2004.

1. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Im thinking about trying the Avalon U5 as a preamp and a DI at the same time and I have a few questions which I couldnt seem to find the answer to in a search...

The active to through switch sends either a direct signal or the boosted/EQed signal to the "Thru out" jack on the front panel for driving a power amp correct? Does the active to through switch only effect the front jack? Also do the boost/EQ knobs effect the two outputs on the back? Which output on the back is best for connection to PA?

Ideally I would like to have the gain control only the connection to the power amp so it doesnt boost the signal going to the house every time I would need to turn up or down at the amp.

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    well,

i use the XLR line out to my stewart, and it sends more than enough signal. and AFAIK, boost and EQ knobs work for it as well. and i use the DI out for the PA.

unfortunately, when you boost the preamp, you boost all levels. :( FYI, try emailing the Avalon gents. was pretty good with my questions.