Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Avalon U5 pre/DI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metron, Jun 4, 2004.

1. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Im thinking about trying the Avalon U5 as a preamp and a DI at the same time and I have a few questions which I couldnt seem to find the answer to in a search...

The active to through switch sends either a direct signal or the boosted/EQed signal to the "Thru out" jack on the front panel for driving a power amp correct? Does the active to through switch only effect the front jack? Also do the boost/EQ knobs effect the two outputs on the back? Which output on the back is best for connection to PA?

Ideally I would like to have the gain control only the connection to the power amp so it doesnt boost the signal going to the house every time I would need to turn up or down at the amp.

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

i use the XLR line out to my stewart, and it sends more than enough signal. and AFAIK, boost and EQ knobs work for it as well. and i use the DI out for the PA.

unfortunately, when you boost the preamp, you boost all levels. :( FYI, try emailing the Avalon gents. was pretty good with my questions.