Avalon U5 + RNC1773 + Crown + 410XLT = Farts & Confusion......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FbassDave, Sep 27, 2005.

1. FbassDave

May 29, 2005
    South Oz
    Hey ya'll!

As alluded to above, i've recenly put together an Avalon U5/RNC 1773/Crown/Eden rig. Sounds lovely at around-the-house practicing level, sounds even better through the PA, but while at rehearsal the other night (moderately loud guitar, miked sax, enthusistic drummer) I noticed some serious breakup on the lowest three notes on my E string.

In comparison, my previous set up was a GK 700RB + RNC 1773 + BBE 482i + 410XLT, which was loud as hell and had more booty than I new what to do with. All that's change is the absence of the BBE and the addition of the U5/Crown.

What do you think the problem is? The drivers in my cab are fine, I have substantially more headroom now (600w per side into 4ohms, only use one currently) than before (700RB=380w into 4ohms)... That's supposed to help clearer low end reproduction, right? It occurs to me that I may be overdriving the U5 due to a lack of sufficient gain to drive the Crown, though I haven't found anything on here which supports that.
    Or ist it that the XL 602 isn't cut out for a bass rig?

(To all PLX advocates: I'd love one but they cost a fortune in Oz...)

Thanks for your time!
  2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    This should go in the "Amps" forum..
  3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'd put money on the RNC being the cause of the distortion. Did you forget to punch the "supernice" button? Were you playing a little harder than usual?
  4. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
  5. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Yup, increase the attack and release times on the RNC. It can react so quickly at short times that it will literally ride the low frequency waveforms, distorting.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep, confusion indeed. Moved.
  7. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I had a U5 and was able to distort the input of the unit with the gain at notch 5 or 6 and above with my low output passive basses. At 7 and up it was complete buzz. Some thought I had a defective unit but it was in a sealed box and the one on the shelf performed exactly the same way. Great tone but dont turn it up too high. That may be the culprit.
  8. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Yeah, I've read this also somewhere. I'd bypass the compresor when the 'fart' comes and hear if the low notes keep farting, in that case your overdriving the input of the U5.
  9. What is the Light on the U5 doing?
  10. FbassDave

May 29, 2005
    South Oz
    Confusion indeed, guys. It was late, thought I was in the Amps forum... Apolgies! :rollno:

RNC is set to supernice mode, prefer gentle/transparent compression. The Signal light on the U5 comes on with every consistent note, and sustains for the majority of the note if I allow it to ring out. The boost on the U5 was no higher than 5 or 6. I compensated for the lack of gain by increasing the gain onthe RNC a little (+6 to +10db ).

Does anyone have any experience with running XLS 602's for bass amplification? I got a deal on it and liked the idea of some headroom as I'm considering replacing the XLT for two Low B2's , but if I'm having sound level/distortion issues using an Eden cab, damn... :confused:

I should mention that I was running the left channel only with the attenuator all the way up, and I was seeing the clip light every now and then...

Thanks for your thoughts!
  11. IIRC the Avalon maual does not actually call it a clip light but rather a signal indicator. You may want to try changing the Avalon output between the line and microphone outs to the Crown, I seem to recall having a better sound and signal using the microphone send.

You could also trouble shoot one piece of kit at a time and check all cables as you add kit to the chain.