1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Avalon U5 & Shuttle 6.0

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by QU!CK, Sep 10, 2008.

1. QU!CK

QU!CK

Apr 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    I currently have a shuttle 6.0 that I run through a pair of aguilar cabs but I run through the PA on a pretty regular basis as well.

Would it be worth it to add an Avalon U5 to the equation in hopes of gaining some tonal clarity? It's not that the GB sounds bad by any means, but I'm a sucker for a nice, clean tone with some warmth.

-J

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Adding the U5 would give you a great clean tone to the PA signal, but would not improve the sound of your amp at all. For one thing, the signal from the 1/4" through output is identical to the input.

Even if you monkeyed with sending one of the balanced outputs into your amp, think about it: the strongest point of the U5 is how transparent it is, not coloring your bass tone much at all. So how would it benefit your signal to put a transparent device in between the bass and the amp? And the signal has to pass through the amp, so if the amp is not clear enough when amplifying your bass signal, will it be any more clear when amplifying a clean copy of your bass signal?

3. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    +1 on Bongo's comments.

The only benefit (some might argue this) would be a better DI signal to the FOH-- all of the things Bongo said about clarity but also you'd have gain control on the DI signal, and the EQ presets to shape the signal to the FOH if you like (I don't use them).

4. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    So the selectable tone curves on the U5 are not sent to the 1/4" out? I didn't realize that. I've only used the U5 in the studio, and I've enjoyed some of those fixed EQ settings.

5. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    You can put lipstick on a pig...

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I just double-checked, and actually it has a switch for the Thru jack to go between "dry" and "EQ'ed and boosted", which I had forgotten about. A nice feature, but it still wouldn't help the OP much. :)

7. barebones

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO

Yeah, if he's looking for a particular EQ curve from the U5 that he can't emulate with his amp, that might be cool, but it won't make his amp sound clearer.

8. barebones

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    You're calling the dude's amp a pig? That doesn't seem very helpful.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    haha,

nice...

10. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    Maybe it was just a humorous reference to current news. :)