Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Avalon U5 User's Manual

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by gflowers, Jan 25, 2004.

1. gflowers

gflowers Sadowsky Nut Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Does anyone out there have an Avalon U5 user's manual, either an electronic copy they can email or one they would be willing to copy and snail-mail? Thanks.

2. I'm pretty sure that you can download a copy off Avalon's web page. Love mine and it's very easy to use.

Jeff

3. gflowers

Nov 6, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks, but I've tried that. They only have the product brochure (specs, etc.)and they've disabled their email (too much spam, I guess).

4. Really? I just downloaded the info on the speaker to thru feature the other day. When I get home I'll look through the docs that came with mine for the manual. If I still have it I'll scan it for you. PM me later in the week.

Jeff

5. gflowers

Nov 6, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Jeff,

I did download that diagram, but that was all I found on the site. If you do have the manual and could scan it in, that would be much appreciated.

Gary

6. I didn't get a chance to look last night but I should be able to tonight. If my memory serves there isn't a whole lot to it (the manual).

7. gflowers

Nov 6, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks. Your help is much appreciated.

8. I checked last night and all I have is hardcopy of the PDF that explains the features and what each button does which pretty much explains it all for me anyways. What kind of info were you after?

Jeff

9. gflowers

Nov 6, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks for all your help. I've managed to talk with enough people that have one so I feel I've covered the bases as far as my applications are concerned. Your help has been much appreciated.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Here's the "manual." The other side is just the spec sheet.

11. gflowers

Nov 6, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks for the manual.

12. gcordez

gcordez

Jul 14, 2008
    Bristol,UK
    sorry to dredge up an old thread, but i just bought a U5 and want to get hold of some instructions if possible...

13. pastorchuck

pastorchuck

Sep 17, 2008
    I, too, just bought a used Avalon U5 and desperately need a user's manual. If anyone has one that they could send via email - I would appreciate it.

Send to: chuckbernal@gmail.com

Thanks again,

Pastor Chuck

14. pastorchuck

pastorchuck

Sep 17, 2008
    Did you ever find an Avalon U5 manual?

15. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    It's available on the Avalon website. There's not much to it ... it's a single page. I sent Chuck this link to the "manual." Here it is for anyone else.

Avalon U5 Manual

16. There's no need (I think) for a more detailed manual: the thing just works really great, and you have the tone presets' graphics and technical info on the pdf.
    You may want to spend some time experimenting with (and without) the Tone presets and the high cut.
    I'd add a little thing that's not in the 2 page manual: if you need to use it on 230v, all you need to do is to unscrew the top's 8 bolts, and look for a red switch near the back, do the switch to 230v (or from 230 to 110v) and that's all.

17. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The other thing to know is that phantom power will kill a U5 in what the guy at Avaon describes as a 'costly manner'....

18. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Not true. I've run my U5 into a channel with 48V phantom on it many times. No problem.

19. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Damn, the guy at Avalon was pretty sure that it would fry. I'm a little reticent in trying it. Maybe I'll give my sales guy @ Sweetwater a buzz. They ought to be able to confirm or deny that I think.

Munji, thanks for pointing that out. It really would make the device a bunch more useful for me that way. When the guy I spoke with told me that I was not real pleased...

Settings wise, what features do you use ?

20. 4to5to6

4to5to6 Bassist Supporting Member

It will fry!

Don't apply phantom power to XLR out!
    Don't attach speaker in signal without the speaker attached!

Both these will fry the U5!

I was just sent a handwritten block diagram of the internal signal path by an Avalon tech. If anyone wants a copy, email me and I will forward it to you.