Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Avalon U5 vs Demeter 201 pre

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Jul 26, 2004.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How do these compare soundwise?
    My main use will be as a live preamp. The Avalon would be used with some kind of Eq. Price is about the same.
    I want a warm defined sound that lets a Jack Casady bass through at its best.

2. Check out this site and decide for yourself:

http://www.basstasters.com/preamps.htm

Unfortunately, while there is a clip of the Casady thru the Avalon, there is no clip for the Demeter; so you can't directly compare the two preamps with that particular bass.

As a side note, the Casady has a very bizzare slap tone in the Avalon clip. It sounds very 'bubbly.' But the groove tone is pretty good with the Avalon IMO. (I like it even better than the Fodera.) :bag:

Sean

EDIT: Even more bizzare with the Thunderfunk!

3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I have the Demeter and in the past I had an Avalon for a short time. I never got to compare them side by side. They both have fast response, unmatched clarity, and great frequency response. The Demeter has more features obviously. I only used the U5 as a pre a few times and not even on a gig but my impression is that it was overall a little smoother then the Demeter with more low end. They are both great. Personally I want both. The Avalon for recording and as a DI when I am not using an amp at a gig and the Demeter for everything else. Life is full of good choices isnt it?? :D

4. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    If you truly want
    then i'd strongly suggest the Avalon in this case. The Demeter will get you more of a "crystal clear and sparkling" sound, that's a little bright for some people. What cabs are you using?

I found my Casady sounded amazing through the Avalon, and also through the warmer tube preamps like the Ashdown & Kern.

5. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Cool that a solidstate preamp can be brighter than a tubepre. :meh: I though the Demeter would soud warmer.
    Right now Im using a homemade 1x12" based on the Eminence Omega Pro 12 driver. A really punchy clear deap sound. I might add a 6" for more high mids.

6. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Actually, most tube preamps i've tried have been brighter than their ss counterparts. The Demeter & Aguilar are two of the brightest preamps i've ever tried. Of course, there's the other end two, since the Kern is the naturally darkest preamp i've ever heard. It's not about the tubes - it's about the design.

7. i wish more people understood that. thanks typing for the most intelligent thing i've read all day.

robb.

GardenBass likes this.