Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Avalon U5 Vs Demeter Tube DI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Classic5, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Classic5

Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia
    I've seen some very positive comments on this site about the Avalon U5. Has anyone had any experience with Demeters Tube Dirext Box? - I think both are around the same price.

I've also notices in the latest BASSICS magazine that John Mayung uses a Demeter Preamp and the Demeter Tube Direct Box. (Just thought I'd add this comment in relation to Jokerjkny's very informative thread on using a DI box when your pramp already has a DI).

2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    check out the Radials!!!!

Last months bassplayer did a review on one of them. Amazing DI's!!!!

3. Classic5

Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia
    Thanks Brian,

I wasn't previously aware of these DI's, but I'm gonna look into them. I see the've got a website www.radialeng.com

cheers.

4. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Yea, they do. Its under my manufacture page which you have found. Great stuff and all class A.

5. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    dude, that demeter is the best you are gonna find. I tried that once, I got no hum or crackly noise. Then even better, I got a fat but clear tone. The amp handled all effects well. I set together a fund for my dream rig and guess which preamp I have on it:)

Never tried the Avalon.

6. Classic5

Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia
    Well, I've just got off the radial web site and their product does look good. I'm also finding out a bit more about DI boxes along the way. Active vs Passive??

What I'm after is a DI box to be used primarily for live situations. My main bass is active but I also have a passive jazz type bass. In the live situation I'd probably use the active five mainly. So to this extent a passive DI box sound like the way to go as opposed to the active variety (I think).

PIEZOMAN - is the Demeter DI active or passive?

My current rig includes Demeters HBP-1 peamp (Its awsome!!!).

Price wise I thing Demeters DI box is more than double the price of the Radial JDI - any thoughs on whether this price difference is justified?:confused:

7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    The JDV MK3 is the big dog and the one that will handle most anything you could ever need.

The JDI MK3 is a great unit if you don't want the effect loop and outputs and inputs, etc.

8. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got a Demeter Tube DI that I run through a Demeter VTBP-201. It sound great!! Sometimes I play several basses through a mixer and run that signal to the Demter DI and then to an amp. It ALWAYS sounds good.

9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Check out the Countryman DI. It's not too expensive and it is just a fantastic unit. For a more expensive tube unit I've heard good things about the Aguilar. I'm sure the Demeter is great though.

10. Classic5

Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia
    Thanks for your input guys.

"The JDI MK3 is a great unit if you don't want the effect loop and outputs and inputs, etc."

I DON'T REALLY WANT A LOT OF BELLS AND WHISTLES, SO IT SOUNDS LIKE THIS ONE WOULD BE THE CHOICE OF THE RADIAL SELECTION FOR WHAT I'M AFTER.

"I've got a Demeter Tube DI that I run through a Demeter VTBP-201..... It ALWAYS sounds good."

DEMETERS DI IS REALLY TEMPTING FINVESTRINGDAN. IT'S JUST REALLY EXPENSIVE IMO. I'M REALLY HAPPY WITH THEIR PREAMP THOUGH - SO IT MIGHT BE A GOOD COMBINATION.

ANYWAY, I'LL BE WEIGHING UP THE PRO'S AND CONS OF BOTH OVER THE NEXT FEW DAYS. THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INPUT.:)

11. I have both the Countryman and the Aguilar DB900. I paid $100 for the Countryman. I had to twist a guy's arm to get the DB900 for $250. At those prices I don't think the Aguilar is worth 2 1/2 times the Countryman.

The Countryman is dead quiet and bulletproof and inexpensive. I'd call it top-of-the-line for everday needs/gigging, if not more. Especially for the money.

The Aguilar adds a touch of tubeness. Just a touch though. Glad I did not pay full price (around $400) for it.

Bottom line: Get a Countryman on principle just to have. No big deal since it's cheap and will last. The DB900 is just as nice and well-built but do not expect a lot more from it.

12. Classic5

Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia
    OK, looks like I better check out the Countryman unit as well.

Thanks.

13. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    How uch would the average demeter tube pre cost?

14. Classic5

Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia
    Very expensive - I think on the Demeter site it was about US$500 !!!:confused:

15. Classic5

Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia
    Sorry Piezoman, are you talking about the Demeter Pre Amp or the DI Box.

They make two preamps, VTBP201 and HBP-1.
    Price depends on where you buy them - I bought my HBP-1 for just under US$700. Great preamp!

Thats why I think the DI box is very expensive - I could almost buy a VTBP201 preamp for the price of their DI unit.