1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Avalon U5 -vs- Demeter VTBP-201S

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by g4string, Apr 6, 2009.

1. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    If you were to record, which one and why..........this is strictly a comparison for recording sake.

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    use whatever's easier for your engineer...

but if you do have a say, i say the u5. the demeter is a terrific preamp, but a dedicated DI box like the u5 is going to be that much more quieter.

course, another more comparative alternative would be the demeter tube di which is what i'm taking to this weekend's session. ;)

3. jazzy grille

jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    Two different monsters.

U5 all the way, one of the past lovers I still regret selling.. One day I will have another.

4. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

Nov 5, 2004
    Montréal,Qc,Canada
    I actually use both together while recording.

Sly

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Not much of a comparison...both do their own thing. To me, the Demeter is a far more flexible unit offering a true tube tone, and does so in a way that's designed for the bass to sound like it's going through a tube amp. The U5, IMO/IME, is not terribly flexible and only had one "fairly" useful setting - if you like it, great! If not, you're kinda screwed. For live use, you might find yourself lacking the ability to control your tone according to the room.

Of course, that's not to say I don't love Avalon gear - I use a VT737sp in my rig. :bassist:

6. i say use them both and see which sits in the mix better for the song