Avalon U5

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 7thbass, Jul 27, 2004.

1. 7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    Anyone using an Avalon U5 as a preamp? Sound fantastic as a DI.
  2. Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Yup. One of the best preamps I've ever used. I can't believe how much tone is actually in my basses that is masked by other preamps. Hearing what your bass really sounds like is a trip!
  3. bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Did it once... everyone and their Granny loved it! :D

...will be doing it again real soon, but this time, instead of just running straight into the PA and Monitor Systems, I'll be pumping through a pair of Acme B2's! :D :D

Anyone care to make a recommendation as to which power amp to stick in between those puppies? :bassist:
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    faaaaantastically transparent.

if you've got great gear, it'll help it sound great. crappy? it'll be crappy.
  5. I'd hate to give them another plug ;) , but by far the best sounding preamp on basstasters.com. Hands down. Thank you, and good night...
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Is there any way to rack these puppies?
  7. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    They have rack ears... Don't know if they are standard or an option.

Awesome sounding unit! :hyper:
  8. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Definitely agreed. I use a SansAmp right now (using a much cleaner setting, just a little hint of amp-like honk blended in with the direct signal.) but man that Avalon sounds killer.
  9. bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Rack mount kits are an (expensive) option. I think I paid $75 for the single unit kit.

Oh, and make real sure about which kit you get/order, because they have the one kit that'll mount one unit front and center... and they have the other kit that'll mount two units side-by-side... I believe they're designated RM-1 and RM-2 respectively.
  10. I'll have to say. I used one recordingand the end result sucked, super smooth bass that didn't cut through at all but I blame it on the guy running the recording, I ran it through some cabs and that is an awesome unit.
  11. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

got rack ears from sweetwater, and now, my U5 goes everywhere with me. heck, had it in my 2U SKB rack, where earlier, i came back from a friend's recording gig. i'll post up clips as soon as he's done mixing down. sounded especially vibey on a pseudo house reggae track.

sounds like someone was using the second position on the EQ knob, which does suck out the mids, and isnt a fav setting of mine. my fav setting is actually flat or the 6th setting, which by lessening the lows, tightens it up for a taut sound.

by far one of the cooler boxes i've ever used. :bassist: :cool:
  12. I just noticed that the U5 has a speaker input. Is this used for mic-ing a speaker cabinet?

Also, would any of you guys recommend this preamp for heavy rock? I don't see it recommended or popular for that style on these forums.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found this from onstagmag.com

Still not quite sure why or how you would use it.. :confused: Nice and informative review, BTW.
  13. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    How many spaces does it occupy when racked up? It looks like it would fill quite a few. Does the cables end up sticking out the top or bottom making it need even more rack spaces if using with other gear?
  14. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    It uses only 2 RU and it is flat at the top and bottom. It barely stuck out of the front either IIRC. The only thing is, that it is a very deep unit. Deeper than most preamps I've seen. Keep that in mind when contemplating putting one in a very shallow effects rack. I think it almost went all the way back to the end of my QSC! :eek:
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You'd use it if you were doing a live show and you wanted to record direct. You just plug the parallel speaker output into the U5 and send the signal to the board. The U5 can take up to 400 watts in. This gives you "speaker voicing" into the recorder.
  16. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    for guys like me!

i've only tried this on a few occassions, but there were times when i was curious if i could pump up my Alessandro Basset Hound's native 60 watts to a house rockin' 1200 watts thru my stewart power amp!

simply take a speaker out from the BH to the U5's "speaker in", and run the line output of the U5, to my stewart and Acme B4 rig. at the same time, taking the other speaker out on the Ally, and running it to my THD Hotplate as a dummy load. when all is said and done, you get some MASSIVELY pure unadulterated tubieness. :bassist:

also, extra uber cool points for being able to take the "mic out" from the U5, and send the whole of my BH's tone, power tubes and all, straight to tape or the house's PA. :cool:

most DI boxes worth their salt can do this as well, like my old Countryman DI. but the Avalon just makes it all sound sooooooooo much better. again, just an amazing little box.

i'll try and find a pic and some clips of the rig i have buried somewhere.
  17. That sounds cool, joker. It looks like the Avalon preserves the sound of the power tubes (hence, retaining the amp's "live" sound as they say). Something that is apparently lost from going out of the preamp out or direct out into a poweramp.

I'd have try that if I get a Avalon. But does this offer any avantages for an all SS amp or is this only useful for an all tube amp?

18. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    It can serve SS well if there is no Post EQ DI or you find the onboard DI stinks, as they tend to on most amps. It is also a nice bonus because if you prefer the coloration of your power amp, it is allowed in this mode. Overall though, I think it is more suited and probably even intended for Tube power sections. It also lets you fool some soundguys who what strict control of your tone and ask for a DI only and want nothing of your stage sound into the house PA. :spit: ;)