Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Avalon U5

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Funky Doctor, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    This may sound stupid, but I was wondering about the Avalon U5 and the fact that it is electronically balanced (as opposed to balanced using a transformer as far as I gather) and using it with a mixer that has universal phantom power. I'm a little paranoid about the fact that some SWR di's can be ruined if phantom is accidentally applied and was wondering if this is this the case with the U5? I'd hate to get one and have it ruined first go by some absent minded sound engineer...

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Avalon's units are top of the line. SWR's DI pales in comparison (I have used both for recording). I unfortunately didn't get to use mine live with phantom power when I still had it, but I'm sure they have taken that into account when designing it. I wouldn't worry too much. It's like comparing SX basses to Fodera: One is pretty darn good for the money and the other is out of this world, top of the line, great attention to every detail, and expensive. Not a fair comparison, IMO. :cool:

3. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Well thanks but I wasn't trying to do a comparison. I was, however, mentioning the fact that SOME di's can be ruined by phantom power, and was wondering if it were the case with the U5. But thankyou. :)
    So can anyone answer my question?

4. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I'm aware of what phantom power can do to certain DI's, particualry certain SWR DI's. I'm also 99.9% sure that it won't be a problem with a U5. Avalon builds them to last everyday rigors in and out of the studio. ;)

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have run my Avalon U5 direct to my Mackie 1604 VLZ, all the while using my Shure Beta 87C mic, meaning that the global phantom power was on. No problem.

6. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I still have the manual saved on my computer. It says nothing about the type of transformer (if any) used or phantom power. It can be used a as a speaker soak (up to 400W I think) so I'm sure it can handle pahntom but, there is that 0.1% of doubt remaining in my mind.

If no one here knows for sure, maybe write Avalon?

7. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Ok sweet. Thanks for the replies and advice. I'm 99.9% sure that I will go ahead and get one, although I would like to try one first. Bah. I'll just get the damn thing.

8. I don't have the U5 (yet :smug: ) but like Mr. Munji I have the Mackie 1604vlz which is a great mixer and has great preamps, but the xlr/balanced buss cannot be isolated like some of the real expensive units. Therefore you are wise to be careful as I never could get a straight answer (see below) from several manufacturer tech supports as to what phantom will damage or not. Eariler Demeter pres had this problem and I just happen to catch this potenial problem while reading an atricle and started a long line of questioning as a result. Demeter has long since fixed this.

Some techs insist that "if your unit (mic, preamp etc.) needs to pull the 48v phantom it will do just that, and the units that don't require the juice the current will just pass through not harming anything."

Some techs insist that "if your unit does not require phantom and does not have the protection at the connection, somewere there about, it will/can damage the unit.

So if it does not have a warning about this in the manual or on the unit you should check."

Munji is probably correct. However I would also contact Avalon, but you must know your other gear like the Mackie information I spoke of earlier.

Sorry, Im the "What if" Guy. :D

9. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    No, thanks for being the what if guy. That's why I asked. I want to be 100% sure. Well, 99.9% should be good enough, but yeah, it would be nice if that 0.1% of uncertainty was cleared up.

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i belie ve the answer is somewhere in here
    max valentino is the guy to ask
    di thread