Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Avalon U5

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 61pollmann, Jul 30, 2005.

1. 61pollmann

61pollmann Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Wisconsin
    I know that the U5 is a great DI for recording. I want to know if it can be used as a preamp with a good power amp(QSC 2402)? I tried to reach Avalon directly without any luck. Sweetwater told me that Avalon is apparently in the middle of moving, and is temporarily hard to reach. I'm not sure if it is capable of loading the power amp adequately. Anyone with personal experience care to comment?

GW

2. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I believe people have done it before without any problems.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    When I first got my U5, I plugged it into one of my Mackie SR 1530 cabinets, and played through that to see how my bass would sound in the PA. All of a sudden, I was tempted to just use that as my bass rig, it sounded so bitchen. So if the U5 will adequately drive the amp in a self-powered speaker, it should do just fine with a power amp.

4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I was running mine in front of my eden for years, it did great! I just got a great deal on a DB750 so it's not getting as much use. But it is a VERY GOOD pre, ecspecially for the dollars.

5. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    No probs here! I run my U5 into a Presonus ACP-22 compressor and then on into a Stewart World 1.6 to drive two Acme Low B2 II's.

The sound?

:bassist:

6. MAX input = +24dBu unbalanced

MAX Output = +30dBu balanced 600 Ohms

means it will drive anything!!! And sound MIGHTY Fine doing it...I have used them for years in the studio and in fromt of an amp and they work fine.......

Peace,

T

7. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I did it for about a year or so. But after a while, I sorta got tired of the lack of eq options. I kept it on EQ curve two and just used the eq on my bass. But that got old after a while. I'll take the hit for thinking it'd be the be all end all of preamps for me. Bad move on my part.

I say try it. You'll be impressed at the integrity of the signal strength and tone. It'll be all "your bass" - very little color. But also little else when you need it. And I'm willing to bet there will come a time when you'll need something more, or less.

Just my $0.02

8. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I use it into either a QSC PLX 1202 or into an Acoustic Image focus SA. It's a really great sounding preamp--I've been using it for about nine months and I don't miss the eq. much at all. I usually leave it flat and just roll off the tone on my bass. Sometiems I'll use either prest one or preset three, for a more "ampegish" sound; now and then I go with presrt two, for a deep, sharp mid scoop. I posted a detailed review of the thing at the reviews section of talkbass. In the 6 months since that review, I can't say my feelings have changed any

Only thing I don't like about it is the size--it's big and heavy for a DI, and takes up two spaces in a rack. I got a little case for mine. Otherwise, I love it.

9. I use mine like this:
    EBS Multicomp< Avalon U5 < Carvin DCM 1000 < Schroeder 410. I use my presets much the same as PB+J does, and I just tweak my onboard eq if I need a little something extra. The presets are voiced very nicely, and give me whatever I need. Very simple and effective.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Sadowsky + Avalon U5 + Demeter VTHF-300M + Acme B2 =
    :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: