1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Avalon U5.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 6stringbassist, Feb 26, 2008.

1. 6stringbassist

6stringbassist

Jul 9, 2007
    UK.
    This seems to be most widely mentioned pre/DI when someone asks for recommendations for an 'uncoloured' solid state preamp.

So just how uncoloured is it.

I can live with the lack of EQ, that doesn't bother me.

I'm after a solid state pre for my Bergantino IP112, I'm going to get a TD1 later in the year, but I've got the chance to buy a used U5 for a good price, I can always resell it later and get my money back.

I've heard it described as being sterile, but isn't that what it's supposed to be, the sound and character should surely come from you and your bass.

2. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I definitely would call the U5 sterile, but if you put a crappy sounding bass through it you'll definitely get a crappy sounding result. I've owned two and deeply regret parting with both of them.

Vanselus records every bass on basstasters.com with the U5. That could be a decent starting point.

3. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I've heard that the U5 doesn't mesh well with the Berg IP cabs. The Summit TD-100 is supposed to have a 'Berg Mod' available that specifically matches the outout to the Bergs input, and is supposed to sound very good, and uncolored.

Now, if you were going for a colored sound, I'd be all about the Kern, but you're not, so I won't mention the Kern. Kern.

4. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario

Ok subscribed - how does the Kern sound??

5. 6stringbassist

6stringbassist

Jul 9, 2007
    UK.
    Thanks for your replies.

I have a Summit, but I'm after a solid state pre as well.

Is the Avalon too 'uncoloured' then, the Berg stuff is very flat sounding, do people prefer something with more character, is that the problem with it.

6. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    In a word, yes.

I think the U5 is about the finest SS DI on the planet but, as a pre for an IP cab I like something with a bit more texture (or, in the UK, coloured:D). I have used it as a pre with my IP/EX 112 stack. It drives the power section well but sounds a little too 'dry' to my ear.

Have you consider Phil Jones? The Bass Buddy sounds great with the IP's, and I hear the P-1 just kills!

The Millenia TD-1 has both SS and tube circuits, and it is supposed to be just awesome with the IP's.

7. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Have you considered a tube swap?
    The more you crank the gain the more tube you get the less, more SS.
    The U5 sounded plastic to me. The presets were someone's idea of bass tone and flat was just not good. It is one of the best DIs in the world.
    Do you like the sound of your bass direct into an IP? Just asking cause the Summit is really close with gain.
    The Kern is surprisingly SS and the best of tubes at the same time. Crazy but true with the tone knob cranked. Some folks feel the PJB buddy doesn't drive the IP sufficiently. Maybe Tom will chime in on this.
    The P1 is supposed to be all that. I love the Glock. It is SS but gets warm and saturated if you want.
    I have not tried the Millenia with the IP but didn't like it in other applications as a pre. Not a gigable eq. Some folks dig it though.

8. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Me, too. I'd love to have another someday...

9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I used to have a U5 but replaced it with a Furman PQ-3; the Furman is far more versatile and should work quite well for your needs.

10. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Chadds,

The OP already has a TD-100 and was looking for suggestions on a SS preamp. I agree that Summit sounds great with the IPs-- it's tube though and not SS.

Now if it's tubes you want, let me suggest ART Pro Channel. IMO it compares very well with the Summit tone-wise and is *much* more flexible. It kills with the IPs!

JMHO,

Matt