Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Avalon U5

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brian Barrett, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    WOW

I bought one of these from guitar center the other day. Couldn't resist and had to buy one to try out. Oh my, I found my new preamp. This thing sounds Killer and very clear and natural. Not eq-ed and all colored up like most preamps on the market!!!! Very cool with the tone knob punched out you get the instrument direct with a wonderful smoothness and a volume control on the U5. It also has an engage button for the 6-position eq setting which is wonderful!!! I hat all the parametric color your sound crap. Why buy a wonderful and expensive instrument to never hear it. Ok anyway, I have been so happy with this thing that I had to come and post a thread to see who all is using or has used these and do you use it for an actual preamp?

[​IMG]

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I have used it as a preamp before(though I have never actually owned it). It is killer! Easily the clearest and warmest sounding preamp I have played through. If I don't end up buying an iAMP head, I am going to go preamp power amp with the U5.

3. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Its awesome and so pure!

I wish they would set me up as a dealer, but Avalon's opening order is $10,000 and I'm a small custom shop. Can't drop dough like that :D

Anyway, I'm working a few other avenues. They sound killer. I just need to get the rack ear's so I can install it in a rack with the Crest LT series which is a wonderful musical amp in it self!

4. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Brian, Just sell that Chamber fretless Benavente for $10,000 and you are all set for the avalon.:D I got my U5 coming next week...will let u know about the sweet sounds with all my Benaventes!!!:cool:

5. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I've owned a U5 AND loved it! Anyone heard anything about the new U6 that is supposed to be coming out soon? Marc

6. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    NO

don't tell me there is a U6, I just got the U5 :D

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I used mine to go direct into the PA at a gig last weekend. Sounded great. Clean and pure. Mighty fine gear.

8. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I have one. Very nice.

I bought it for the times that they tell you there is a backline and you show up, with no amp, and the backline is the PA.

You DON'T always want some soundmen to have complete control over your sound. I have mine in a little padded Gator bag that was for microphones. I just trimmed away the foam and it fits perfect.;)