1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Avalon Ultra 5 DI/Preamp for Rickenbacker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by snakesandarrows, Oct 20, 2009.

1. I'd be willing to bet MOST of the U5's people are seeing on stage with most of those big players in front of those tube amps etc. are there purely as a DI to FOH and are not in any way affecting their stage sound though their rigs...

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I thought the U5 had a wet 1/4" output.

3. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    You can choose wet or dry.
    The few times I've used mine live it was dry. Never felt my basses or amps needed any extra help or enhancement.

Sure does make FOH guys happy though :bassist:

4. the U5 is simply awsome in studio and live with or without an amp. it sounds open and big, you have to try it to see what´s with it. Also want to say that a tube DI can be as clean or even cleaner than a SS DI.

5. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I find I am preferring the FET pre in my Max 12 head. Mixing in some tube seems to muck things up a bit. I also have my friends U5 at home and have run it as a pre (through the Effects Return to bypass the GB preamps) and i tsounds pretty nice. I tend to run my amps flat so I may try the U5 at a couple gigs and see.

6. kai_ski

kai_ski

Apr 14, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
    I think this is one of the greatest things about the Avalon... brand recognition. When the FOH guys see it they usually get a big grin on their face because they know they will have a great signal. When you give them something to work with, they put more effort into making you sound good.

7. Maybe some do, but as long as I´m doing the FOH and I have a U5 or better DI/pre for bass I know it´s all the contrary, I don´t have to do much, better say I have to do nothing, it simply sounds good

P.S: I´m more of a studio guy though