Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Avalon vt 737sp preamp

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by TheGeneral, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Anybody have experience with the Avalon VT-737sp preamp for recording? If so, have you compared it with the Aguilar DB680 preamp? What are your thoughts on the Avalon--I'm trying to decide whether or not plunking down $2K would be a good idea.

2. I do, and i know JT does, since he has both units. The unit sounds real great, but if you are talking solely for bass, i know JT would agree with me, since i've heard him say this before, the DB680 beats the Avalon hands down. Now if you plan to use the Avalon for vocals too and so forth, then the avalon is a great investment.

3. Hey Cookie,
    Thanks for the info about the Avalon. When you say the Aguilar beats it "hands down," what exactly do you mean--can you be a little more descriptive? Also, how would you compare the noise between the Db680 and vt737sp? I find my DB680 to have quite a bit of noise.

4. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I have a friend that is saving up big time to get an Avalon. He already has the U5 and loves it, so naturally figures that the 737 is going to be even better. The L.A. Bass Exchange was hyping the 737 on their website a while back and that's when he frst got the bug. But for some reason, I've been reluctant to jump on the bandwagon. The U5 is a great little box, but I wouldn't want to use it as a pre before I'd use an Alembic F1X, or a Demeter HPB 1. But to each their own.

Now the Ag DB680 is a monster that I REALLY want to try. There is something about the presence of a 12AX7 in my signal chaing that I just love and I hear that the DB680 is really tops at the tube warmth thing. The Ampeg SVP would be pretty good, but I've heard many say that there is an excessive amount of high end hiss.

Please, please please, more details on the sound and possibilities of the 680!!!

5. From what I've heard, the U5 is a great preamp and is totally clean and transparent, where the 737 has the tubey sound. An engineer I just worked with prefers the U5 over the 737 for bass, but that is his personal preference. Antother producer I know lives by the 737 for getting great bass tone.

6. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD

If you're not happy with your DB680. let's talk!!

7. Mario,
    The DB680 has been great for live work, but in the studio it seems pretty noisy compared to my Evil Twin. I can't say I'm unhappy with it though.

8. I don't know exaclty how well to describe/explain things. Honestly, i say you PM John Turner and ask him, he owns both units and can give you the low-down. Of course mind you, even though he said he prefers the 680 for bass, it doesn't mean everyone will. It's personal preference.

9. Brian Scherzer

Brian Scherzer

Jul 14, 2002
    Aurora, CO
    I can't compare the two, but I have an Avalon 737 that I use more than not when recording bass tracks. The DI is very nice, but I really prefer the use of my rig (SVT4 Pro through an Epifini 2x12") miked with a shure KSM32. What i get is a very warm, but full, tone. The compressor on the Avalon is wonderful, as is the EQ.....very musical and gives a great tube sound. The added advantage of the Avalon is that it is a great preamp for vocals and any instrument that you might want to get some warmth added to.

10. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I take it the 737 is not the greatest when used live? Especially when compared to say your SVT stuff or any other "meant for live" as opposed the "meant for studio" like I'm thinking the Avalon is??

11. Brian Scherzer

Brian Scherzer

Jul 14, 2002
    Aurora, CO
    Mario.........I've never tried using the 737 live. I keep it in my home studio. What I was trying to say is that I love the sound of my rig and that I use the Avalon to capture that. Other preamps have not given me the same musical tracks as the Avalon has on my bass. If I went direct in, the result would be pleasing, but not as nice to my ears as the tone I get through the Epifini speakers. Remember that speakers add a color all their own. If you love the sound of the speakers you use, I think it's better to mic the cabinet than to go direct in.