Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Avant-Garde Rap?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by page, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Is there such a thing? Im looking for some stuff along the lines of like rap with a weird backing band, or like jazz rap or like when Tom Waits raps. Can anyone suggest some stuff?

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Dalek. He has a weird style and can get repetitive, but the backing tracks are great. Constantly progressing and rarely repeating themselves.

Heirogylphics has better rappers (but there are like 6 of them vs. just one) and pretty cool backing tracks, not nearly as cool as Dalek's, but better than the Kanye's and the Neptunes of the world, who get stuck in musical ruts fairly regularly.

3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I wouldn't consider Heiro avant garde, they're a great great great group. Saw them at the Mideast w/ Non-Phixion (another great group, sort of Rap for Slayer fans) Boom-bap project and the O.C. Great concert, everyone delivered, especially Opio, Pep Love and Casual. Del was there as well, but was sort of in the background but gave his support to the other guys in the group. I'm not a big Del fan, but I like the songs he does with Hiero (and Clint Eastwood, which he performed with new lyrics...hot ****)[/digression]

Anyway, if you're looking for Avant Garde rap, you have a couple of ways you could go, the ones I know are the Anitcon and Def Jux labels.

Anticon is all about lo-fi beats and weird-ass rambling 'poems' that don't really rhyme. When they do decide to lay it down and start rapping they're pretty solid. Some people dig them, worth checking out.

Def Jux is a little more straightforward, the main producer for the label; El-P is a big fan of King Crimson and a few other prog rock groups. His beats are kind of weird and off-kilter but really good. Check out Cannibal Ox's 'Cold Vein' and his solo album 'Fantastic Damage'.

The Ninja Tune and Warp labels also have a few hip-hop groups in the more electronica vein. Beans, Anti-pop Consortium, and some of the tracks on Prefuse 73's albums are good places to look.

As for Jazz rap, there's tons of groups that use old jazz tracks to rap over, most notably Gang Starr and Digable Planets. Ron Carter did a few tracks with MC Solaar (really good, better if you can speak french). Quasimoto's album "The Unseen" is definately kind of weird, but very rewarding. As is Madlib's(Quasimoto's alter ego) "Shades of Blue", where he creates a bunch of beats using the masters from old Blue Note records.

And no one raps like Tom Waits....which is what makes him Tom Waits and everyone else 'Not-as-cool-as...'

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Word To Herb" by the Screaming Headless Torsos?

5. drawordoodle

drawordoodle

Feb 22, 2012
  6. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    more recent roots albums get pretty far out there.

The Robert Glasper Trio Live with MF DOOM!!! - YouTube <---- this comes to mind when i read the thread title. MF DOOM is not someone you should skip over. he is the master. he is the hiphop equivilant of what the beatles did for rock music. really kicked everything up a huge notch. hip, creative, artistic, and downright weird. i also purposely picked that video because robert glasper + the experiment band throw down some really out there and awesome hiphop grooves.

also MF dooms other alias "King Geedorah" has one record out called take me to your leader. HIGHLY reccomended if your looking for bizzare hiphop.