Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, May 22, 2005.

1. Avatar 112 + 210

23 vote(s)
  2. Avatar 212

20 vote(s)
  1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    What do you think? Avatar 112 + 210 or 212? Why?

If you vote please tell me why you voted the way you did - I'm trying to make a decision.
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I like the combo of 12's and 10's tone wise...I like the portability of having 2 cabs...I like the ability to only bring one cab to smaller gigs or practice.

My current set up is 2 small boxes...#1 is a Schroeder 1212 and when needed, #2 is an Avatar SB112. It's much nicer to move than a 'big box' cab. And the Schroeder has the response of most normal 10's.
  3. konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    +1 for portability

you also have a larger frequency range with the 10's
  4. I'd go the smaller 1x12" and 2x10" setup- it's much more protable and much easier to chop and change if you need to. the 210 and 112 combination will more volume and a better, more broad range of frequency responce.

I am currently building a 1x12 and a 2x10 to follow, using the same speakers as the Avatar units, Delta12 LFA and Delta 10's (B210 Delta) this will give me laods of punch and should be loud enough for pretty much anything I come accross... The Avatar units still arent available to the best of my knowledge.

Also if you could get 2 x 8ohm cabinets to run your amp at full power as oposed to the single 8ohm or 4ohm 212 the combination should in thery be louder due to more serface area.

5. I have to ask, why would one need a larger frequency range for bass than the 2 x 12 would offer? And it would do the low end much better than a 2 x 10.
  6. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    I VOTE THIS. 210 + 212

for these reasons:

highs and lows covered
    option to run either cab alone depending on scenario
    look sweet!

7. Remo that thing must sound huge... It sure looks huge.

Just wondering- what did it cost to get the cabinets to Australia? I buet you get some dirty dirty looks form other bassists when they see you on stage with Avatar cabs :bassist:
  8. I voted for the B212. I bought it recently. Two twelves are fuller than one IMO.
  9. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

+2 here. I have the 2x10 and 1x12 Avatar setup and LOVE it. 10's are punchy and the 12 goes down low and if it's a small gig, I have the option of only taking 1 cab and the whole setup is easy to move.
  10. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    i have the 2x10 and i think im gunna get the NEO 2x12 under it this summer!!!!
  11. konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yes you want low end, but you want some highs in there as well (depending on what your playing offcourse). Thats why you use the 10 and 12 in combination
  12. ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    I just posed this query a couple threads above cause they spoke of 12's but it started as an amp thread so I may not get an answer. Anyway, I have a avatar 2x12 coming and I was wondering how to combine them at this Sat nites gig. I usually use my SWR 4x10 & 1x15 cabs at this large icehouse venue. Large, open, garage-type doors right behind stage, wide, long, building. Loud Harleys coming and going, hot, sweaty, girls dancing and lifting off wet T-shirts as their tanned bodies glisten in the lights... Oh sorry, back OT. We are booked here once a month thru Dec so I can try out different setups, but for this first Sat what should I start with, using GBE 600, how about all three 8 ohm cabs at once. Hmmm, what would that be ohm-wise, probably not necessary but is this even do-able? So what setup should I start with, I was thinking maybe to try the 2x12 cab with my 1x15 cab for the first time out. But will I be missing the familiar sounds of my 10's? This band is blues, R&B, Motown and even disco, ever watch a big biker dude dance to a Donna Summers tune? :smug: Never owned a 12(s) cab before, what should I expect? Thanks for any info y'all can offer.
  13. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I think I'm stuck on the 212, but might want to get the 8 ohm cab to allow for additions later. How would the 8 ohm 212 sound different from the 4 ohm 212 through a 300 watt amp?
  14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

I'd start with the 2x12 and the 4x10. The avatar 12's have pretty good low end response, similar to a 15. I think you will be missing something without the 10's. I use my SB112 as if it were a 15, and I pair it with my Schroeder 1212, which I treat as a 4x10.
  15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I run a 1x12 and a 2x10 setup as well! Works great for me and is very portable. This was my very reason for downsizing. If you are playing with P.A. support, I don't see the need for so many speakers. If you can't be heard onstage WITH P.A. support, you guys are too frikkin' loud!! Is it an image thing to have a wall of cabs these days? Speakers are so efficient now that there is no need to have a huge amount of speakers and also unless you have roadies moving your gear around, in an effort to save you some future back problems, I highly recommend a smaller, yet efficient, rig.
  16. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    The impedance will be 2.67 ohms, which the GBE can run all day long. I suggest starting out with all three, and if you have too much low end, disconnect one of the speaker cabinets (15 or 12). Also keep note that you'll have to turn up due to reduced wattage and speaker area as you do this.

Good luck at the gig. Sounds like a blast!
  17. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I chose the 210+112 setup because that is what I use. I think you get a wider frequency response with that setup than with just 212's.

18. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    the B212 is a great cab by any means, but you can DEFINATELY get a great tone and equal volume from a 210/112 combination. And the portability is something that you cant trade in for anything. Your cabs won't even go up to your waist, but they'll be as loud as a fullstack. :cool: