1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Avatar 115 and 210 blows Ampeg 115he x2 out of the water

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dbd1963, Aug 25, 2012.

1. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Of course, this is my subjective opinion, but I was very surprised to find that I think this is so. In terms of loudness, clarity, and tone, the Avatars are clearly better than the Ampegs when driven by my PF-500.

btw, turning the tweeters on or off didn't affect my opinion.

Would this be an expected result because of the Avatar 210? I don't know squat about how cabs are supposed to work with loudness and all. I can understand the 210 having a good effect on the tone and clarity, but the difference in loudness surprises me.

2. Tractorr

Tractorr

Aug 23, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Believe me you are about to be inundated with a lot of people's opinions on mixing speaker sizes.

3. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Reading that is what lead me to get two of the same speakers to pair up. But they don't sound as good, nor get as loud as the 115 + 210. I bought them together back when Avatar was still relatively unknown so it's possible they are matched together.

4. Mehve

Mehve

Jun 2, 2012
    Kitchener, ON
    It's a crapshoot, that's all. But if you WERE going to mix, obviously using cabs designed by the same company would improve your odds of finding a good synergy. Which is what it sounds like happened for you.

5. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    Part of the volume discrepancy can be attributed to the fact that the Avatar cabs are ported while the Ampegs are sealed. Ported cabs generally "sound" louder.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sorry but that's a myth about ported cabs being louder. It's due to the tuning of the cab. The PF115he is voiced to go lower than most cabs, and lows require more wattage than mids and highs, and the lower the cab goes, the more wattage it takes to get them to a level of a more "normally" tuned cab.

7. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    My Ampeg PF-500 head sounds "o.k." through it's matching PF-115 cabinet.
    That same PF-500 head sounds freakin' "GREAT" through my two Avatar Neo 210 cabinets!!!
    To my ears, there's absolutely no comparison...

8. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    I didn't say they "were" louder, I said they "sound" louder which with all things being as equal as possible, they generally do.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No they don't. I don't know where that one started, but it's not true. If they "sound" louder, it's because of the way the cab is voiced.

10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Often to get a driver to reproduce low notes the efficiency of the driver is impacted negatively. It needs more juice to get it to a certain volume. It sounds to me that the drivers used by Avatar are more efficient than those used by Ampeg in their cabinet.

11. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Yes sir, you are correct...as far as Ampeg's standard drivers.

Avatar's Neo speakers are Eminence USA's, top of the line, 2510 Neo drivers with a custom x-max to match up with Avatar's cabinet tuning.
    To the best of my knowledge you have to go to Ampeg's Pro Neo Series of cabinets to get Eminence's top of the line Neo drivers.
    Avatar and Ampeg both use horns from the Foster/Fostex Co.
    Avatar's crossovers are also from Eminence...I'd be willin' to bet Ampeg's are from Eminence also....

12. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    matching cabs is "better", but they need to be cabs that you like in the first place!

if the avatars each sound better to you than the ampegs, then the stack (even mismatched like it is) might indeed sound better.

the question then becomes whether that avatar stack would be as good as a matched pair of either the avatar 2x10s or 1x15s.

13. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Uh oh, the matching speaker cult has discovered a new thread to enlighten everyone... yet again.

14. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    This has been discussed ad nauseam. Do a search.

15. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    To tell the truth, I don't like the sound of the Avatar 210 by itself as its too harsh for me.

I used the PF115he x2 stack last night and for a rehearsal this morning. They get plenty loud enough for gig volume and in a mix nothing seems to be missing. It was downright thunderous and did indeed handle more lows than I normally set it for without complaining.

16. FREAKYSTLYEY

FREAKYSTLYEY Banned

Jan 14, 2007
    Seriously.......

Seriously.......

Wow.... COME ON

17. PF115HEs are 99db @ 1m and have a max output of 125db. You're comparing apples to oranges.

18. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm comparing dollars to dollars -- you can compare whatever part of it you'd like.

19. otherclef

otherclef

Aug 10, 2011
    Charleston
    More proof that the end of the world is coming....

20. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    qB7b6.