Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jedi, Apr 21, 2004.

1. jedi

jedi

Apr 11, 2003
    north texas
    I know i'll quickly get a reply along the lines of "there are fourty four pages on avatar, do a search". i've spent a good portion of last night and this afternoon searching. and my eyes are about fall out of my head. so please help me out if you are friendly and flame me at other times.
    i'm currently using an SWR workingman's 8X10. I got a good deal on it and needed a cab at the time. I want something a bit more portable that is easier to transport...i.e. leave some room for my bass in my jetta. i've talked quite a bit with a friend who is a gearhead and he recommends avatar. what i've read i really dig and can afford.
    i like the idea of 215s, but i see a lot of folks who play eigther 1X15 with a stacked 2X10, or through a 2X12...how does one fifteen or two compare with a 2X12. my friend pushes 2X15s because he has a thing against horns, so i'm looking for other opinions. i play everything from thrash to funk, fender marcus miller, and an ampeg b2r (when more funds become available i'll be getting rid of it and replacing it with something else, that i'm not sure yet of).
    thanks for reading and replying if you do so. i apologize for the lack of capitolization.
    -kyle

2. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    I really didn't like my avatar 1x15 is didn't have any shape to it at all. I was running a Fender Jazz with a GK 1001rb/Sansamp Di. I play aggresive indie rock with a pick.
    I liked how the 410 sounded it was just a little lacking in the low end. I can only imagine the 2x12 as a happy medium of the two but I honestly have not played one. Avatars are high quality and very affordable though. I don't think you could go wrong with either a 410 or a 212. I'd just make sure you're a 15s kind of person before you get one.

3. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    I play an Avatar B212 and I love it. IMO I get the best of both worlds: heavy lows and clean, crisp highs. I did, however, order an Avatar SB115 yesterday. It will be here Tues. or Wed. of next week. I plan on running the two cabs together. Hopefully I'll be able to get big, thick bass tone out of it :D

4. jedi

jedi

Apr 11, 2003
    north texas
    Right on. What head/amp/rack do you use, and do you not think your tone is big and think currently with just the 212? I would probably end up stacking something with it, but i'm not sure. Also, how loud can you get with jus the 212?
    Thanks
    -kyle