Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by atldeadhead, May 6, 2003.

1. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    I'd like to add a little more bottom end to my setup. With my recent acquisition of a 5 string, I'm finding that 4 10's don't deliver the notes lower than E the way I'd like.

I was thinking of adding an Avatar 115 or 115H to my setup. I'd be powering everything with an SWR SM500.

This will be my first attempt at running multiple cabinets so I have no idea what to expect.

Anyone out there using a similar setup?

Should I run the cabs daisy chain fashion? In stereo? I'm not sure which will produce the best sound

If I daisy chain 2 8 ohm cabinets then the amp would "see" that as a 4 ohm load, correct? This way I could use the full 500 watts of the SM 500.

Thanks for your comments and opinions.

2. I know that the Hartke 115XL works well the 4.5XL. Don't know how the Avatar will sound.
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Bridging your amp and running it at 4 ohms will give you maximum power. Doing that you'll lose the ability to control the volume of each cabinet independantly of one another (usefull if they have different efficiencies).

I'd recommend that you try it both ways (stereo and bridged) and see which works best.

We have a saying at work..."One test is worth a thousand expert opinions".

Have fun!!!