1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thundar, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

Hey fellow TB'rs. I need a lil advice...I have an older Avatar 4ohm 15" cab with the horn, and port/vent along the bottom of the cab. Its not the Kappa speaker I dont believe...I have never removed it and checked, but it farts like a mule with the low B string, and its very mid heavy in sound with little lows. So I am thinking about replacing the 15" driver with a 15 that has a lot more balls... any ideas? The cab is about 24x16x27.
    Also, I have been noodling with the idea of buying an Avatar 212 Neo with the blue tolex...and if I do I would like to cover the 15" cab in the blue tolex as well....any ideas where he gets his tolex covering?
    Thanks for any insight on this!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    He probably buys it wholesale, but you can find different tolex at places like www.usspeaker.com and www.parts-express.com . If you call Avatar, they might even tell you where to get it. It's a big PITA to replace tolex, though. Lots of scraping and sanding.

3. Replacing the speaker is a no brainer with the Eminence Kappalite 3015.

4. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    It'll fit in there and match the internal volume ok?
    If so,

GET IT! :bassist:

5. Well first, the 3015 LF is 8 ohm and his cab is 4 ohm which won't work right with his 4 ohm crossover. It's also going to have a hole in the mid frequencies without a mid driver.

We also don't know what frequency the box is tuned to. From those dimensions it's probably around 4cu ft after driver and port displacement.

For a different option, the Basslite C2515 is 4 ohms, recommended box volume is 3-4.2 cu ft, and it's on axis mid response is a little better than the 3015 lf. It would probably work well in that box if it's not tuned higher than 45-50 Hz.

6. Well first, I own an older Avatar B115 cab and have done extensive testing with it. It is roughly a 3.8 cu. ft. cab tuned to 50hz.

Second, the older cabs had a simple 1st order high pass filter on the tweeter only, so the cab impedence is irrelevant.

Third, if you look real close, I never mentioned LF when I recommended the Kappalite 3015. This non-LF driver is perfectly well suited for this cab.

7. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

Thanks for your help guys! I really appreciate your info....I will look into those!

8. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    +1 on the kappalite 3015
    i have one it's killer!!