1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AshenBassist, Mar 15, 2006.

1. hey all! i'm looking to start up a rig, and was looking at avatar cabs, due to their sweet price and apparently great sound for this price.

i'm looking at getting a 210 and a head to start. i don't make much money...
    but later i'm looking at getting a 212 to go with it. i plan to power all of this with a yorkville xs400h head, until i can afford the 800 watt one.

so the questions are

1) which 210 should i get? the kappa pro looks like it would be a force to be reckoned with! but then again the delta is much less of a burden on the wallet. should i get the neo?

2) if i get the neo, should i get the 212 neo to match? are the neo's worth it? weight vs $. it looks to me that 10lbs aren't worth $100 or so. but are they incredibly better then the deltas?

thank you very much if you answer!

2. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    When I ordered my cabs, (neo 210/212), Dave said that he was considering selling nothing but neo 210's. He said that 8 out of 10 210's that he sells are neos and he's seeing less of a need to carry Deltas and Kappas. Not sure if he'll actually do it but that's what he told me. And, if it were me, I'd go with a neo 212 before the 210. It's much more well rounded and I think that it cuts through the mix much better than the 210 -- all in all, it just plain sounds better. Haven't played though any other Avatars but mine so those are the only comments that I can make.

3. +1, but I only have experience with the 210 Neo as of yet. But I've got a 212 Neo on the way, so if need be, I can give you more info when it arrives......

As far as weight vs. $$$ goes, I didn't mind paying a little extra for lighter cabs, and the tone is well-balanced in the 210 compared to the mid-scooped Ampeg BXT cabs I had been using, and I can see the 212 giving the same "flat" response.

Awesome tone and nearly 1/2 the weight of what I had? Priceless.