Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spanky_123, Jan 13, 2006.

1. spanky_123

spanky_123

Dec 7, 2004
    I am looking at buying an avatar 210 because I have heard good things about avatar... I play mostly metal/hardcore and I was wondering which cab do u think would me most suited for it. I'm looking for a punchy sound with some high end to cut through. I am still looking through different heads but I have figured around 300-500watts
    thanx for the advice

2. I'm currently using a Neo 210 and I'm quite pleased. Of course it's impossible to know if you will like a cab without hearing it...

The Neo speakers, in addition to being lighter than the other tens, also have a better frequency response in the bass region and so should actually be better suited to bass guitar than the delta or kappa speakers.

Avatar is pretty highly regarded as being not only a quality product but a very very good value for the money.

3. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    i got a 2 10 kappa pro 2 weeks ago

great amp! i completely love it. its loud, and no problem with bass response. i've heard the delat's are lacking ,and i've never liked neos. too "hifi" of a sound, i think.

if i start doing bigger gigs, i'll eventually order either a 1 15, 2 12, or 1 12 for a second cab.

that reminds me, be sure to wire it at 8 ohms if you plan to extend the system.

4. For hardcore/metal the Kappa Pro would be the 210 cabinet to get but you would be much better off with the 212 Delta cabinet.The 212 will get louder,have better bottom and still cut through.If you are using the 210 with another cabinet it might work for hardcore but if it's your only cabinet I wouldn't even think of using just a 210.A 212 would be the minimum to keep up with a drummer and heavey guitars.Also get the most watts you can for the money,400 to 500 should work.

5. tomfouts

tomfouts

Jan 4, 2006
    Boston, MA
    [​IMG]

Avatar B210 Delta. Such a low price for a greap cab it is amazing! Also if you visit their website www.avatarspeakers.com , you can see that the delta got the "Bass Player Magazine Editors Award: Best Buy". $230 for a 700W cab? I am sold! I am thinking about adding a Avatar 1x15 or a 1x12 later on if i start gigging a lot.

Definetly check out some reviews. You will NOT be dissapointed

6. My B210 Neo arrived on Tuesday (Dave said it would be here in a week and it was). Unfortunitly I cannot give you a review of it. This is due to the fact that I am still playing phone tag with the music store to find out when my amp will be in.
    If I find myself near the music store perhaps I'll drop in an test out the cabinet just for the heck of it.

But, as someone suggested before me, if you can spare the extra cash I'd say go with the 212. I would of done so myself, but that would have been over budget for me.

7. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I have a Delta 210, 112 and 212. I love my Avatars and they all fill their purpose. My 210 is the first one I got and it held up real well. I would suggest if you play a 5 string then eventually you will need a 12 or 15 because the 210 breaks up with aggressive playing lower than E. I agree with Blues bass about the 212, the perfect all around cab. It has bottom and punch and gets loud if you bring the watts. I use the 212 exclusively unless I need more volume then I match it up with the 210 and have a loud and punchy setup.

You can't go wrong with Avatar. They are excellent cabs for the money and are a steal.

8. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I purchased a 2x10 Pro a while back. No complaints. The tone has a bit of a transparent character to it, but it does have the right "bump" EQ'ed in for solid rock/metal cut-through. It can pull of a great tight sound with a low B and aggressive playing, at the volume/power levels appropirate for a 2x10. It is a punchy cab.

I originally paired it up with a SWR 1x15 and that was a fun combination (with a MAG head). I also paired it up with a Mesa Powerhouse 4x10 and that worked nice. I ended up replacing the Goliath III in my rig with the Avatar because the 2x10 was actually a better complement.

I recently purchased a Powerhouse 2x10 to complement the 4x10 I am already using. I'll part with my Kappa for half of whatever it costs new if anyone needs one- PM or message on AIM (tequiz0).

9. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Based on the research I've done, I really think the B410 Kappa Pro is the way to go - since you like to play the crunchy stuff. It's not that much more expensive than the B210 Kappa Pro, and the reviews on Harmony Central are very positive indeed. You probably wouldn't have any problem with low-end response either...

http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Data/Avatar/B410_PRO_Cabinet-1.html

Get that, along with an amp that'll give you the most juice you can afford, and crank it up!

MM

10. spanky_123

spanky_123

Dec 7, 2004
    thanx for the help guys I think I'll prolly go with the kappa then, I wish I could get a chance to play it first but oh well, everything else up here in canada seems to be so much more expensive
    thanx
    Matt

11. spanky_123

spanky_123

Dec 7, 2004
    I am planning to get the Kappa 210 Pro... I am planning to get another 210 or a 410 cab later so if I wanted to keep the same head then how many watts would I need and any suggested brands/models??
    Thanx

12. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Spanky-take a look at Yorkville Sound for a head, In Canada they are the best deal around. They have a 400 watt and 800 watt head at good prices for Canada. They are good solid amps that sound very good. Go with the 800 if you can. But even the 400 is a lot of power.

I imagine, if you're buying Avatar you'll have to get them from the Canadian distributor in Winnipeg. If you're planning on adding a cabinet later, order the 8 ohm and add another 8 ohm later.

13. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    The Neo/Deltalite speakers are superior to either the Deltas or the Kappa Pros in that cab size if you are running full-range. More lows, and lighter too.

14. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Exactly. I wouldn't recommend anyone buy a 210 with the Deltas for live bass amplification, they have too short of an Xmax. The Deltalites have a nice bottom end, and the Kappas are... heavy

15. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

When I had to choose between these three 210 cabs, I chose the Neo for the reasons above.

16. This is an important point - for these 10" cabs, heavier speaker does not = better bass response.

17. OblivionBass

OblivionBass

Jul 3, 2005
    are delta and deltalites the same?

if there not, whats the difference

18. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    If you haven't picked up a 2x10 yet Avatar just released their tolex covered 2x10's to the masses for $295+$29 shipping!

19. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I guess I might as well start my cross-border rant by mentioning that the Canadian Distributor is charging a 20%+ mark-up on these speakers.

I would rather order them direct from Avatar. Distributors like this who don't bother to negotiate proper transfer prices and then charge mark-ups to compensate add relatively little value to the process. It's so easy to order from the U.S., why we needed a distributor for Canada is beyond me. Too bad.

As for the Yorkville heads, you can get a much better deal from an online US dealer than you can in Canada from Long & Mcquade (even though the manufacturer is Canadian!!) or any other dealer. They protect margins in Canada but throw it wide open in the States. This sort of thing no longer flies when your customers have a computer and can shop the world for your product.