Avatar 210 or 112 for my situation?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SirPoonga, Mar 4, 2005.

1. SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    I'm a beginner bass. I preorderd one of behringer BX3000T blemish stock from zZounds. I was looking at getting a small combo amp to learn on but then I saw that price :) So now when that comes I will need a small cabinet.

Would the 210 be better for an all around cab for a beginner than the 112?
    I should probably get the 8ohm version of whatever cab I decide on in case I want to add another cab in the future.

Would one be better for a 5 string bass over the other?
  2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Given your questions and needs, I'd say the SB112 (8 ohm) would be the way to go fo' sho'. The 1x12 is more rounded than the 2x10 especially if you are going to make the move to 5 strings. You can always add the 2x10 for extra punch in the future. The 1x12 is damn loud too (louder than you think). Again, get the 8 ohm if you plan on buying another cab in the future (another 8 ohm). This will bring the total load down to 4 ohms (the best your head can do) while maximizinf wattage.
  3. RedVette

Jan 1, 2005
    Medford, OR
    Talk to Dave at Avatar. Based on his recommendation, I bought the 212. It is full range and is not much bigger than the 210 or 112. I am driving the box with an Ashdown MAG 300 which is about the same power as the Behringer.
  4. SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Yep, that's why I was thinking 8ohm.

I might, in the future, build one of these http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/plans/product_info.php/products_id/3

I talked to the maker and he's a bassist and uses that. Would be a fun DIY project.

As cool as a 212 would be, I need something that can fit in my closet while not in use. I also want something that can fit in my compact car so I can play over at some friends. And since I am new to bass I don't want to spend too much money right now. Hence why I am looking at the 112 or 210.

If I get the 112 and want to get another cabinet in the future what would be a good compliment cabinet, a 410?
    Same question with the 210.
    I know it depends on music style so answer as if it was going to be an all around setup
  5. Quadzilla

I run the 2x10 and 1x12 Avatar stack setup (8 ohms each). Man-oh-man, it rocks. Very, very loud, can go down low (1x12), while being punchie (2x10)! HIGHLY recommended!
  6. SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Yeah, that sounds cool. So maybe I will get a 112 now and when I get better get a 210 to add.
    I don't see me playing gigs or anything. I'd just jam with friends. On thursday's or fridays we hang out at a smal brew pub to drink and sing :)

I've played trumpet but that's akward in that environment. It's hard to keep a trumpet from blaring everyone's ear drums after you've had a few ;) So I started looking at playing guitar. Then someone I know introduced me to bass and I fell in love.

Quad, out of curiosity, what are you powering it with, that Kustom?
  7. Quadzilla

I'll give you one guess! Seriously, yes, that's my "big rig" if you will. I have two other smaller setups as well. I've had larger rigs in the past, but this one is damn near perfect tone-wise IMHO and is very portable considering the sheer volume it pumps out (near deafening above 4 or 5 on the master and 7 on the gain).
  8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Don't ignore 2 1x12s. If you like one, you'll love two.
  9. konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    i got an avatar 4 x 10 and it rocks, i mean common 2000 watts power handling. Thats actually the set-up I am aiming for. Im trying to sell the 4 x 10 so I can get a 210 and 112. For the reason that i cant fit the thing into my car.

I highly recommend that combo
  10. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I have an Avatar 112, 210 and 212. I agree with Quadzilla that the 112 is the choice for today. It matches great with the 210 later and is a better stand alone than the 210 is. I think the 212 is the all around winner, but I don't have to fit mine in your closet.

Good Luck!
  11. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Oh-hooooo, I'm diggin' this!

I'll be buying my first big rig since highschool. Then it was some big'ol Peavey head with a 6-band rotory-knobbed EQ driving an 18" folded horn and two 2X15 cabs; they were Peavey too, I think). I'm pretty sure my tastes have changed since '79. I'm going with three 1X12s, I think. I know I'm buying ONE Avatar 1X12, and soon - then I'll know for sure if I want to go withthree of'em!

I'll bet I like it a lot - as long as they give me the mids and upper-mids that I want, along with low bass. From what I've read so far here on TB, I won't have to worry about the low-end, especially with three coupling together!

I'd imagine I'll turn the horn off; I also had the idea of having one of the engineers at work design a modified crossover filter that chops-off the high-highs (hopefully at a sharper rate then the 6dB/oct that the high-pass end is - maybe 12 or 18?), leaving the horn to more duplicate frequencies that I already have in the 12s (maybe EQ'd-up?), but producing a more even dispersion pattern. Since these guys regularly design inductors and LC filters, I certainly could get 12dB per octave rolloff, and maybe one of these hotdogs can get it to 18dB-per - that'd be pretty cool chopped in the right frequency range, I bet. (Of course if I do, and it works, I'll surely publish the scematic here.)

Is this makin' sense? Will I get the nice synth-y mids (maybe Tony Levin-ish??) that I love and crave?

12. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    If you get three, make sure your amp can handle 2 ohms (it's actually 2.7) and make sure you get the 8 ohm cabs.
  13. Get a 210 Neo. I love mine, and its surely light enough. The mids are slightly more accentuated (IMO) than the 10's in the Pro cabs, the only cab to which I can compare, but this is in a very good way.

Edit: You'll probably keep the horn just above off... most likely less than 10%
  14. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yes-yes - another confirmation that I'll love twelves. With tens-tens-tens being apperently all the rage, I've been afraid that twelves won't have tightness or definition without help from a horn - and for the rock that I'm playing, I don't really like any high-highs, like maybe above 5 or 6KHz or so.

Just last night I was listening to a hiphop station on the regular, stock GM radio in my old car, and I was thinking "I'm hearing deeper, more authorative bass from this than I can get out of my bass rig!" That sucks.

That Hartke bottom I've been using just won't shake the floor in any way (I'm not sure of the exact model, but it's a 4X10 with aluminum cones, and it weighs a TON!). I do like how it projects upper-mids in a way that 'grabs ya by the lapels', but just no authority in the deep bass. I know I'm only running their little 140W head - at more-like 80W because I think it's an 8-Ohm cab (it's our guitarists bass rig that he's been lending me until I can afford - and make up my mind on - a rig of my own), but still...

15. SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    I talked to Dave. I think I am going to get a neo 210 first. When I get a 5 string I will add a 115 or 112 then.