Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stinsok, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I have made the decision to get rid of the Hartke Transporter 410, and buy another 210 to use with my current Avatar B210. 410s are plenty for the gigs I play, and I can use just one 210 at practice/small gigs. I have been looking at getting the Avatar 210 Pro or either the Dr. Bass 210(Rx.) Here are some of the issues (or non issues) involved:

Price/shipping-close enough not to matter.

Weight-non issue. As long as it sounds good I don't mind carrying it.

Tuning-Dr. Bass cabs are tuned lower (will I be able to notice a difference between 59hz and 45hz?)

Speakers-From what I read here, Dr. Bass uses Deltas, this Avatar uses Kappa Pros.

Tweeter-non issue. I rarely use one.

Wattage handling-my power amp is capable of 425 watts per side (but I never get to use that many.)

Rat fur vs. composite covering-still pondering that one.

What do you think?

2. I have a B210, and when I get round to either buying or making
    a second cab, I will want something that can go deeper.

The DrBass 'rx' series are mdf, which is heavier/cheaper than plywood (and generally considered inferior to decent ply for cabs because of the weight issue so far as I can tell)

You can tune the avatar cabs lower, though with the front slot ports this is not as easy as with the hole ports - probably have to take the speakers out and then manhandle in an extension piece to the port and stick it in somehow. Bit of a pain, whereas with the older back ported ones you can just get a longer tube. Unless you block the front port and use a router or something to make a hole in the back.

3. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    Major differance between 59 and 45 hz. A four string plays down to 41 hz, so the closer you can get to there, the better. Of course there are ways to cheat, such as boosting the bass, but electronic shortcuts are cheating in my book.

And Kappa pros are fine woofers.