Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, May 29, 2005.

1. Avatar B410 Pro + B112

7 vote(s)
  2. Avatar B212 + B210

26 vote(s)
  1. I have an opportunity to purchase a used Avatar B410 Pro for the same price as a new B212. The 410 is an 8 ohm cab so I would want to add another cab eventually and was thinking of a 112 to catch more of the low end. If I bought a 212 I think I would still get the 8 ohm and eventually add a 210 on top.

I'm a fingerstyle player, I have a 300w amp, and I play a Fender Roscoe Beck 5-string (basically a supercharged Jazz 5-string). I typically play blues and classic rock with a little metal thrown in for spice. Which set up would you choose?

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I prefer to use my SB112 as a sub, putting it under my other cab and turning the tweeter all the way off. I used it with a 4x10 for a while and it rocked pretty much.
  3. I have a B212. I ran my 210 combo with Eminence Neo 10s as cab on top of the 212 to see what it would sound like and it was pretty much awesome. Really punchy and articulate and the 212 has good bottom end. The 212 sits in the mix alittle bit nicer alone(for funk rock and metal), but with both cabs going you could cut through ANY mix.
  4. ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    I just got a avatar b2x12 off ebay and I used it Friday nite in place of my usual SWR Goli III 4x10. The 2x12 sounded mighty nice though this gig is in a lounge with heavy carpeted floors, fabric on walls, overstuffed chairs and a 2 walls next to a corner stage. So I am thinking that the 4x10 cab cuts thru better in this room. Now Sat nite was at a large icehouse, open garage doors behind stage, concrete floors. Here I used the 2x12 below my SWR SOB 1x15 where I usually would use the 4x10 & 1x15 cabs. Kinda had a hard time at first getting a good sound to my ears, it was loud enuff but rather boomy. I had to really mess with the bass and amps settings to get a sound I liked. First EQ'd too much bass, then lowerd the bass knobs and rolled up the mids, still not pleasant to my ears. Eventually when house got packed the sound cleaned up. Though I am thinking I would prefer a b210 on top of the 2x12 cab instead of even the 4x10 over the 2x12, just might be too loud to easily blend well. So I am thnking the 4x10 for the lounge room and guess I'll try the 4x10 above the 2x12 here in a few weeks back at the icehouse, then again just to see what the cab will do I am going to try the 2x12 alone first to see what she'll do when opened up, so I'll know. The 4x10 will be ready to plug in if I need it, but still think I just need a b210 to go with the b212, we'll see how it goes.
  5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I didn't vote because I prefer the Avatar 1x12 and 2x10 setup. I've also had their 1x15 and 4x10 and absolutely prefer the 1x12 and 2x10 over that rig. It's Damn near as loud, handles my low B nicely and is so much more portable!

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I had the Avatar 210 NEO with a 410 NEO setup, but traded in the 410 'cause it didn't have enough bottom for the funk/gospel/jazz I play. I am waiting on the 212 NEO to be released in late June for the replacement cab. Needless to say, my vote is for the 210/212 rig.
  7. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    My plan, like GSPLBASSDC above me is to team a 2x10" Neo with the soon-to-be-released 2x12" Neo. Hopefully this will give me enough of a balanced sound with the ability to add in the low-mid "omph" that I need as your stereotypical rock bassist, while saving my back a tremendous amount of stress. All totaled, the two Neo cabinets plus my rack will still weigh less than my old-school Peavey combo plus have the ability to load in/out in separate trips plus the range to use only the 2x12" should circumstances require it.

I voted 2x10 plus 2x12. If anything, you might want to consider upping you wattage, as 300 doesn't leave you with much headroom unless it's 300 tubes watts, in which case forget I said anything and go get your hearing checked. ;)
  8. Gives you more flexibility, especially for different size venues. I wouldn't worry to much (IMO) about the 300 watts. One of my rigs is a 300 watt peavey (using a 1x15/2x10 set of cabs)...does just fine in a mix containing two guitars (1 using 2 4x12 cabinets, and the other using a marshall 2x12) - AND they're in the PA...I'm not. Interestingly enough, even in large clubs I have headroom to spare with that setup.

The difference (YMMV) would be for outdoors, really large venues, etc. Is 300 watts and two smaller cabs enough? No...however, you should really have your band upgrade the PA in that case (for both you and the drums), and then you could use your two cabs as stage monitors - much more efficient.

I should mention that we've changed our paradigm recently as well. For larger clubs and anything bigger, we're going to put the bass into the PA and let a set of 2x10/2x12 cabs be the bass monitors (facing aft/quarter). Makes for a MUCH quieter stage - heck, I even convinced the guitarists to split down their rigs and use their speakers for monitors only as well. Makes for a MUCH nicer stage sonically speaking.

Take a look at bands such as the Goo Goo dolls, etc. on stage now. People are learning that their hearing is precious. Many very successful bands put their amps/cabs/speakers BEHIND the stage facing aft (with microphones or lines out to the board). They EQ-in their sound, then let the PA and monitors provide both audience and stage sound.

If you follow this paradigm, 300 watts and two cabs like a 2x10/2x12 mix should be ALL you ever need.

Now as far as pre-amping/tube/SS/hybrid/etc. goes...that's another can of worms. ;)

just my two cents worth...

9. Jay,

Thanks for the good info! I think I'm going to go for the 212/210 setup. The 410 is attractive but it weighs in at 95lbs all by itself! My amp is 30lbs so the whole 410/112/amp setup would be almost 200lbs! With the 212/210 setup I could use either cab successfully by themselves or they would sound really good together. Thanks about the 300 watts as well - I've been looking at more powerful amps online but whenever I'm on a stage in a big place I usually go straight to the mixing board through a sansamp or DI box of some kind.

10. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I would definatley get the 2x12 over the 1x12. Since both models are the same dimensions, you might as well get two speakers instead of one. I'm normally not a "bigger is better" kind of guy, but here it would seem more practical. Also, as was stated earlier, Avatar is coming out with a Neo 2x12 sometime in June, so you will be able to save your back a ton (but it seems like everyone's waiting for that 2x12 to come out, so I wouldn't be surprised if they sell out in a week. *LOL*). I'm still blown away by how easy my 4x10 Neo is to move around.

If you're not entirely sold on the weight of the Pro 4x10 (I don't know what you would be getting for it used), you should definatley think about the Neo. Still, the 2x12/2x10 setup should do you fine. I would be very interested to here that setup, myself.
  11. konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Not only is the 210/212 more flexible in its tone, the 410 pro weighs a ton. I wasnt a big fan of the weight, so i sold it for something more compact.
  12. When is the 212 Neo coming out and how much will it cost?
  13. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    The Avatar 212 is only ten pounds less than the 410 standard model.

I would go for the 212/210. Everyone raves about the ability of the 212 to stand alone, and the 210 will give some more cut in a band situation.
  14. How would the B410 Neo handle a 5-string?
  15. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    The 4x10 Neo will handle your B string fine. They are great as stand-alone cabs if you want to use them that way. You can also throw a ton of wattage at them. I truly believe that I would smoke my RMX850 before I even clipped the speakers.
  16. How would the B210 Neo handle my 5-string? It's a passive Fender Roscoe Beck V. If it'll handle it well then I just might get the 210 before I get the 212. I can get the 212 Neo later.
  17. Just my two cents, but I'd go with the 2x12 first. Much better for the B string, and much more flexible (again).

18. When would the 212 Neo be coming out, though?
  19. konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    i emailed dave about a week ago. He told me that it was scheduled for june, but it was moved back till august