1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cyborg, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Cyborg

Cyborg

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    I'm thinking about giving the Avatar NEO series a shot. I've searched and read about the Avatars but I still have some questions thats I haven't been able to find the answers.

1) Does anyone know the SPL ratings on the Avatars?

2) I've haven't been able to find out whether the Avatars deliver on slap tones on their various cabinets?

Thanks!

2. 1) It isn't published because David at Avatar has not had them officially tested. That is what he told me anyways, and I tend to believe him. I will say that the 4x10 gets pretty loud pretty quickly so I would be shocked if it was any worse than any of the "big boys". I don't think Dave is hiding anything here.

2) I don't slap so I can't answer this. The 4x10 has good punch, if not a little low and dark. It can get down pretty low as compared to other 4x10s that I messed with before getting the Avatar. It sounds fine to me but if I were to pick nits, I might be compelled to say the mids are a little bland (or it could be my crappy eqing abilities :eyebrow: ).

Ox.

3. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    I'm currently using the 410NEO and 212NEO (4ohm)cabs, with a Peavey Firebase 700 head. The slap tone is awesome. Especially with the adjustable tweeters in both cabs. Even with the volume at 6, everything sounds really tight. The only issue I ever had was with my old 8ohm 210 cab. I had the tweeter turned all the way down, and it eventually melted the tweeter pot. Dave informed me that it was because I had the setting too low. So ever since then, I've kept my tweeters at least half way up, and dialed out any more highs with my amp. They've been working flawlessly ever since.

I play metal, but use a lot of slapping in the mix...and I've had to play shows without being mixed into the PA...and these cabs still sound as good as the day I got them.

Lemme know if you have any more questions about the Avatar cabs.

4. Cyborg

Cyborg

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    Ox,
    Thanks for the response on the SPL question. I thought it might be something like that but wanted to make sure.

Scotty,
    So is the slap tone good on the 212? I figured the 410 would be fine for slapping.

5. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    I've never played through just the 212, it's always both cabs...so I couldn't tell you how it sounds individually. However, I know for sure that the combined setup rocks. As a matter of fact, I got in a good hour of practice on it today with my ESP LTD D-4, and wow...it really came alive.

6. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    I normally gig with just a 212 neo and I really like the slap tone. These cabs also make it incredibly easy to get a one stop shopping tone. I hate adjusting things live and I don't use any pedals or effects, I just dial the NeoPak in and the Avatar does what it's told.

7. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    The slap tone on either cab is fine.It really depends on what you like. Dave has a 10 day return policy,so you can't loose.I have both the 410 and 212 Neo cabs,and they they get the job done better than any boutique cabinet. Personally as a stand alone cab,I'd go for the 410.

8. Mike Money

Mike Money In Memoriam

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Trust me.... They deliver.

The 410, in my opinion, is much better for slap than the 212. The 212 provides more a of a growly sound, while the 410 is much more full and punchy.

As was said above me, the 410 is a better stand alone.

9. Cyborg

Cyborg

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    Thanks for the input. I'll probably just buy the 410 for now.

Although, does anyone know whether or not the 210 is tuned the same as the 410 or the 112 tuned the same as the 212?

It would cost more to purchase 2(112's) and 2(210's), I'm thinking it might give me more flexibility. I could use a 210 and 112 to use on a smaller gig and have the best tone of both cabinets.

Any other thoughts?

10. Paulitics

Paulitics

Apr 12, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I have a 212 Neo. I like it a lot. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a nice mid heavy tone. I have never played any other Avatars so i can't do any comparisons.

Mixing and matching 112s and 210s sounds like a cool idea. I can't comment on the tuning but if your amp can do 2ohms and you have 2 of each you could connect all four. That would be pretty fun.

11. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Lots.

I've owned one of each, and I have the 410 now. I do use the slap technique often, and find that the cabinet works very well that way. The delivered Foster horn has an agressive tone, so you might not want to have it turned all the way up.

I replaced mine with a Selenium titanium tweeter, which is a bit smoother, but the replacement was absolutely not necessary to make the cabinet a useful gigging tool.

Avatar's 212 and 410 cabinets use the same outer shell, so aside from whatever differences the placement of the cones inside the cabinet may make, the tuning is identical.

I have the 410, I also have a 210 and a 112, and as I said used to have the 212. My 410 is a 4-ohm cabinet; all of the others are 8-ohm.

I think the tone of the 210 and 112 used together is the best of the batch, but it is a close call. It is such a close call that the convenience of having one cabinet to load in and out makes me use the 410 as a single cab for gigs and the 210/112 at the rehearsal studio.

I never used the 212 alone. It was an 8-ohm cabinet also, and didn't have enough push on its own for me. It sounded great, and very loud, combined with the 210, but that grouping was really too big to be practical for me to carry around. I rarely needed the extra air that it pushed compared to the same 210 with the 112. I sold the 212 to buy the 410 I have now.

Contrary to what I have read, I find that the 410 is more midrange-forward than the 212 was.

Great cabs. Cheap, and very usable. Highly recommended.

12. asad137

asad137

Jan 18, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Physicist
    Did you measure the port length as well?

Asad

13. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I'm not looking at it right now, but if memory serves it runs the whole width of the cabinet along the lower edge. Is that what you are asking?

14. asad137

asad137

Jan 18, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Physicist
    Nope, I'm asking about the length, or depth of the shelf, as it extends inwards into the cabinet. Even if the volumes are the same, if the port lengths are different the tuning will be different.

Asad

15. Cyborg

Cyborg

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    Oops, I originally asked are the 210 vs. 410 and 112 vs. 212 tuned the same way. I meant to ask are they voiced the same? Sorry for the terminology goof!

16. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I see. Regrettably I can no longer compare as I no longer have the 212.

17. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    He uses the exact same speakers in 210s and 410s and also in the 112s and 212s. So, although I suspect there may be a narrow definition of the term "voiced" that I am not aware of, I think they are.